UKC

Advice on club trip to Austrian Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rj_townsend 25 Apr 2014
I am looking at arranging a club trip to Austria in August 2015, for a mixture of activities and abilities, and I’m hoping for some advice, please. In the main we’re looking for walking, via ferrata, climbing and peaks (F or PD).

At the moment I’m considering the Stubai alps, camping in Neustift im Stubaital. We’ll have cars available so transport isn’t an issue.

My questions are;

1. Would I be an imbecile to choose this as a location for this trip?
2. Would you recommend somewhere different (preferably in the same region) for a trip of this kind?
3. Do you have any recommendations in the area for the activities we’re looking at?
4. Do you have any suggestions on what guidebooks I should be looking for?
I’m at the early stages of planning the trip, so any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thanks
 pec 25 Apr 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

The Stubai seems like a good choice for the activities to want. I was their last summer and it was very well set up for these activities. I've put a couple of posts in this thread, including a useful link
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=573432&v=1#x7622528
In particular note my comment on the Diadem Eastern Alps Guide book. I don't know if there's a more up to date one (in English) but I'm sure you can find route descriptions on the web.
 pec 25 Apr 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

This link is also very useful, particularly under the "summer" section where you can find info on walking , climbing and via ferrata including some topos.
http://www.stubai.at/en
OP rj_townsend 26 Apr 2014
In reply to pec:

Thanks - much appreciated!
 joelc 26 Apr 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

I'm able to offer some fairly solid advice on the Dachstein region (the jewel in the crown of Austrian Alpine regions, in my opinion) as I've been going there once or twice a year for cave exploration since the end of the nineties. I can even potentially offer you use of our expedition hut which is at 1800m & only a hundred metres from a bar (and the landlord is a brilliant bloke)!! I say "potentially" as I've not invited others to use it before so a lot would depend upon your crew.....

Stunning location with plenty of via ferratas (including 800m types), a glacier less than an hour's walk up the hill, highest peak is 3000m, stacks of 6 pitch (+) trad, sports & aid routes, and quite a few little crags too. Hell of a lot quieter than many of the areas.

Happy to lend maps, guidebooks, topos etc but I live in Cardiff and there's not a hope that I'll ever be efficient enough to send anything as I'll just forget. PM me if I can be of help.
In reply to rj_townsend:

It used to be a good idea to join the Austrian Mountaineering Club for big discounts in huts, but I don't know what the current situation is.
 Andy Manthorpe 26 Apr 2014
In reply to rj_townsend:

I can recommend this campsite in the Stubaital.

http://www.camping-edelweiss.at/

It is in a much nicer location than the one actually in Neustift.

Andy
 pec 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

> I can recommend this campsite in the Stubaital.
http://www.camping-edelweiss.at/
It is in a much nicer location than the one actually in Neustift. >

I also stopped on this site and it was fine and I haven't stopped on the one in Neustift so I can't compare them. The one in Neustift is however within a very short walking distance of the supermarket and tourist office (for weather forecasts) and all the other ammenities of the town. Edelweiss is at Volderau a couple of miles or so up the valley so you'd probably need to drive to Neustift (or catch the bus but I don't know how often they run)

OP rj_townsend 27 Apr 2014
In reply to joelc:

Thanks joelc - just what I was after. You may well have an email from me over the next couple of weeks about guidebooks etc!
OP rj_townsend 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

Thanks Andy - that's actually the campsite I'd been looking at. I may not have zoomed in enough on Google maps...
 tjekel 28 Apr 2014
In reply to joelc:
Second dachstein, and chosing an alpine club hut to cut walk in times should also work out reasonably priced ... Adamek or simony hut for the alpine / glacier stuff, south side for via ferrata and classic rock climbs up to 30 pitches, all grades ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...