UKC

Mid Wales new guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
foinhaven 26 Apr 2014
Has anyone got any idea when this will be availiable?
 ianstevens 26 Apr 2014
In reply to foinhaven:

I have heard 2015 being bandied about, but no actual confirmation as of yet.
 Dave Williams 26 Apr 2014
In reply to foinhaven:

Thanks for asking. As one of the authors, I'll try and give a brief update of where we are at the moment.

Firstly, 2015 was the target date we set ourselves for submission of the completed script to our CC editor, but this definitely won't now be achieved for a number of reasons. Field work for the guide is very well advanced in some areas, far less so in others.

The main difficulty is the sheer number of new routes (~1500 and rising), new crags (~60 and rising) as well as whole new areas that need checking. Geographically, the guide will cover virtually half of Wales - all of the Rhinogydd, Berwynion, Aran, Arenig, Cadair Idris as well as Elenydd, a totally new area that's never been included in any previous guide. (Elenydd covers Ceredigion, Radnorshire and Carmarthenshire - an area with over 500 climbs in itself.)

The field work itself is a hard task for a relatively small guidebook team, some of whom also live far away from Mid Wales. Fortunately though, the core of the team is highly motivated, conscientious and extremely active and has added significantly to the number of new routes as well as checking existing ones. Given good weather, both this year and next, then I'd like to think that the final script will be ready for submission sometime in 2016. After that, the decision as to an actual publication date will be in the hands of the CC's' Publications Sub-committee. Hopefully the guide may appear reasonably quickly, but there is no guarantee, as much depends on finances and priorities at the time of submission.

In the meantime all is not lost as some information is already in the public domain. See the new routes archive on the CC website for some new routes in Ceredigion (routes listed under North Pembroke on the website (don't ask!!)) as well as interim guides to Ynys Lochtyn (a fantastic coastal area in Ceredigion) and Craig yr Eglwys (a super little crag on the northern slopes of Pumlumon.)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=19217
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=17849

Information for a number of other new crags is also already on the UKC crag database. Just do an area search.

Hope this helps.

Dave
 ianstevens 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Dave Williams:

If you want a hand with research/photos etc. Dave, drop me a line - I'm mid Wales based, know a little about some of the crags and could help out if you fancy.
foinhaven 27 Apr 2014
In reply to ianstevens:
Thanks for the replies. Keep up the good work, its a fantastic area.
Post edited at 09:27
 Sy Finch 29 Apr 2014
In reply to foinhaven:

Just to reiterate what Dave has said, we have a vast area to cover so it's a Herculean task with such a small team.

As for the coast;
Ynys Lochtyn is a fantastic venue in a glorious setting, so just a shout out to climbers to go and check it out. Some routes haven't even had a second ascent yet, so they need climbing and feedback would be appreciated.
Aswell as this and Pen Bilis just on the mainland, we have developed a good few other crags on the coast. Not quite on the scale of Lochtyn, but some worthwhile climbing with a few gems in amongst them. They have not been put out anywhere in the public domain yet, so fingers crossed the guide can get published in the next year or two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...