UKC

Easy cragging near Crianlarich

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigLob 26 Apr 2014
Im staying in Crianlarich over the bank holiday weekend and looking for an easily accessible crag with easy routes (Diff-Severe) to play on for a few hours. Ive tried on the search for a climb tab but nothing suitable coming up. Anyone with some local knowledge got any ideas?
 Fiend 26 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Glen Nevis or Dunkeld. Neither that near.
 Doug 26 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Maybe not quite what you had in mind but there's some bouldering in Glen Ogle & some sport climbing by Aberfeldy (Benny Beg has easy routes)
 aln 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

> there's some bouldering in Glen Ogle & some sport climbing by Aberfeldy

Ogle also has sport climbing.
 Joak 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Ben An in the Trossachs, work your way up the tiers to finish on "The last eighty." Lovely low grade cragging in a fantastic setting.
 Doug 27 Apr 2014
In reply to aln:

I know, but equivalent to "easy routes (Diff-Severe)" ?
OP BigLob 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Ive looked at the sport routes but was really looking for some trad as ive got two newbies with me looking to practice leading and placing gear. Trossachs looks to be the best bet so far.
 jonnie3430 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Cobbler, if you go up the back the walk takes an hour, or glen croe, where the back car park is has easy starters trad and some well hard stuff.
 petestack 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Fiend:

> Glen Nevis or Dunkeld. Neither that near.

East Face of Aonach Dubh in Glen Coe. Not exactly next door, but a shorter drive than either of the above (or Ben A'an for that matter) and you'd probably still hit the rock quicker than you would heading on to Glen Nevis.
 aln 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Doug:

> I know, but equivalent to "easy routes (Diff-Severe)" ?

Right enough, I missed that bit.
 oscaig 27 Apr 2014
In reply to aln:

Reckon Petestack is right - if you're after a decent selection of quality lower grade trad climbs you'd probably be best getting yourself up to Glencoe. Plenty to go at and the crags are not all at the top of the hills after stiff walks. Crianlarich area is good for hill walking and winter climbing but not really the summer rock capital of Scotland
 aln 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Glen Croe's a good bet. Dumby's not that far either.
OP BigLob 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

Thanks for the advice. Think I will give Glen Croe a look.
 alan moore 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:
No, don't go to Glen Croe. Go to Glen Coe. Seriously!
OP BigLob 27 Apr 2014
In reply to alan moore:

Ive been climbing in Glencoe many times in the past Alan and fancy somewhere different. I hadnt noticed any climbing around Crianlarich when ive stayed there before, ive normally gone up for either walking or winter climbing. Plus its on the way home. Thanks for the advice though.
 alan moore 27 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:
Aha, apologies. Just that Glencoe is infinitely superior to Glen Croe. Have a good weekend anyway.

Michael Gordon 28 Apr 2014
In reply to aln:

Come on, who would go down to Dumby for the day from Crainlarich?
 DaveHK 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

> Thanks for the advice. Think I will give Glen Croe a look.

Forget it. It's rubbish.
 tony 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Come on, who would go down to Dumby for the day from Crainlarich?

I wondered that, particularly if you're looking at routes in the Severe - Diff range.

It's about a 90 minute drive to Dunkeld, which has a fair sprinkling of routes and is also has a very good fish-and-chip shop.
 Ron Kenyon 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

There is also The Cobbler - some good classic easier routes.
Do you have the Arran, Arrochar and Southern Highlands guide ?
 Fiend 28 Apr 2014
In reply to tony:
> It's about a 90 minute drive to Dunkeld, which has a fair sprinkling of routes and is also has a very good fish-and-chip shop.

And about 70 minutes to Glen Nevis, which has a similar sprinkling although I can't vouch for the fish-and-chips. Someone really should have suggested those options.

The Cobbler is hardly easily accessible, being either a very steep 1 hour slog or a very long 2 hour slog. Glen Croe IS accessible and the middle crag is a useful learning-to-lead crag but very minor. Of course for both of these options you have to brave the horror of the A82 and while they might look closer on paper, in the same time you'd be pulling onto the rock elsewhere, you'll still be crawling to Tarbet, tearing your own eyeballs out in frustration having spent the last hour doing 20mph in an endless convoy behind a Lochs And fcuking Glens coach...
Post edited at 15:24
OP BigLob 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Ron Kenyon:

Ive not got the guide. Will pick it up and have a look. Was really looking for something south of Crianlarich as we can get there on the way home to Newcastle on the Monday. Failing that we can always stop of at Bowden Doors!
 DaveHK 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

> Failing that we can always stop of at Bowden Doors!

We have a winner.
OP BigLob 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Fiend:

Hi Tony

Glen Nevis would be a good choice. Ive climbed there in the past but was really looking for something south of Crianlarich we can pick up on the way home.
 jonnie3430 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

If you're heading for Newcastle, then I'd recommend Hawkcraig if you can get low tide. Traprain Law is also nice and there is always Northumberland if the weather poops out. Glen Croe is good for teaching, Cobbler better for views. If you want to have a great short mountain day, you could do South East Ridge on the Cobbler at Mod, then tick the other two tops in about 3 hours from the back car park, depending on competence and fitness!
 Michael Gordon 28 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

I reckon given good weather the Cobbler is the best option. Punster's probably beats any other route at your grades south of Crainlarich.
OP BigLob 29 Apr 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Hi Jonnie. hanks for the advice. Ive got 2 newbies looking to start leading so if Glen Croe is good for teaching that would sound ideal. Is it in any guide books?
 jonnie3430 29 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

I can't remember what the gear is like on the easier routes, but think it'd be fine anyway... Arran and Arrochar is the SMC guide but it's pretty dated and a new one in the pipeline. Garry Latters Scottish Rock South has the crag apparently, though I don't know the coverage so can't comment on how good it is. I'd suggest the latter Latter guide (!) because it's more up to date but would have a swatch before buying to make sure. There is some stuff in the comments here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=593
 Jamie B 29 Apr 2014
In reply to BigLob:

> Hi Jonnie. hanks for the advice. Ive got 2 newbies looking to start leading so if Glen Croe is good for teaching that would sound ideal. Is it in any guide books?

It's in the Arran/Arrochar guide, but I think it would be near-hopeless for what you have in mind. There is one leadable and protectable Severe on the middle tier, quite polished and insecure as I remember it and probably not a good learning experience. The other routes are all harder, or in the case of the lower tier, so easy that you could ride a bike down them. Auchinstarry, the Hawkcraig or Traprain would be much better options for your way home, although Glen Nevis is better still and well worth the drive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...