UKC

Compact chainring question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Norris 26 Apr 2014

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about chainrings and what would be compatible with what.

I currently have a Specialities TA 53 S-130/9 and a TA 42 S-130/9 on the front, with a 9 speed cassette on the back.

Riding around the peak district always leaves me wanting a granny gear to get up the steeper bits of the hills, and to be able to climb with a reasonable cadence, so i'd like to have a smaller small front chainring i.e a compact gear ratio.

Could I just get a 'TA 130 PCD Alize Inner Chainrings (38T)' and whack it on? would it make much difference?

Or do i need to replace the whole crankset/deraileur etc?
Post edited at 18:33
 Siward 26 Apr 2014
In reply to The Norris:

Not sure, but I recently changed my rear cassette from a 23t biggest cog to a 28t and that made a noticeable difference. Think my front chain wheel is 39t and I can get up most stuff with that setup, although it's not always easy!
OP The Norris 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Siward:

That's interesting, and could be an option - i just counted and my largest rear cog is 25T, so may have a bit to work with.
Removed User 26 Apr 2014
In reply to The Norris:

Yeh, smack a 27/28 on the back job done.
 xoran 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Removed User:
Just check your derailleur will take the bigger cassette first. If it will then it makes a big difference.
I've ended up with a 30T cassette with a 42T upfront, which gives me almost the same ratio as my mates compact chain set, however my derailleur has the last word on whether I'm allowed to use it!
Post edited at 00:17
In reply to The Norris:

My old setup on my winter bike was an old style Campag square taper 39 / 53 chainset with a 14/28 cassette. I got a s/h Stronglight Compact from a well known auction site with 36/50 chainrings -- same tooth difference, so no shifting issues with derailleurs apart from 'lowering' the front changer and taking a few links out of the chain.

Not quite as low as my good bike with a full 50/34 compact and 13/29 cassette, and gets me up most things in Lancashire (apart from the steep side of Jeffery Hill)!
 Oujmik 28 Apr 2014
In reply to The Norris:

Just switching to 38T won't make much difference and you can't go any smaller due to the location of the bolts (compact chainsets have a 110mm bolt circle diameter unlike your 130mm).

Bigger sprockets on the back will help, but moving to a 27 only gives you 'one more gear'. I'm a big fan of the 34/50 compact chainset and I typically run a 12-27 cassette. This seems like a far better range of gears for a typical amateur rider. If you need a more racy set-up for competition you can swap to 11-23 on the back.
aligibb 29 Apr 2014
In reply to The Norris:

I have a 50/34 compact and it came with 11-25 10 speed shimano 105 on the cassette. I changed it for a 12-30 10 speed but had to get ultegra to get the 30 that I wanted.

Makes all the difference! I hardly ever use my 30, but its there for super steep hills, and got quite a lot of use in the Dolomites.

Also something to bear in mind - I started cycling as part of knee rehab following a ligament injury. even though I am years further on from that it still gets sore if I try to push too hard a gear, so having the option there is great. And I don't need to be worried about routes as I know I'll be fine on the hills.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...