UKC

help locked keys in car in Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andic 26 Apr 2014
In a moment of idiocy I managed to lock the keys inside by winding up the windows with them in the ignition.

Anyone able to help me out?
 marsbar 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

Depending on the car if its an old one you can try folding a metal tape measure in half threading it through the door and wrapping it round the lock sticky up bit. New cars dont havd that though.

Nowhere near Sheffield so not much use to you otherwise.

Can you find someone with aa/rac membership etc to call them out as a passenger?
andic 26 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:

I am in RAC so will try them, it is my dads car tho.
 marsbar 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

Good luck hope you are covered
Removed User 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

It might have been better to lock them in the car in Liverpool.
Jim C 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:
Just had this conversation with my daughter, who was going to drive to Aberdeen in her new car, and leave the spare keys with us !

She is now going to take the spare key and keep it separate from the main key, just in case.

How far away is the spare keys?

marsbar 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Jim C:

You have just reminded me that the spare key for mine somehow ended up in my handbag.

Not a good idea.....

I will move itright now to prevent a "I locked my keys in my car and my handbag is i there too" moment......

Thanks!!!
 Pekkie 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

I did that in the middle of nowhere in North Wales. I asked the AA man when he arrived if he got many such call-outs from muppets. He grinned. 'Several every day.' Mind you, I've got quite an old car. When my daughter had the same thing with a grand-child locked inside a modern BMW jeep thing the AA man had to break the window.
 Kimono 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

I did this recently and just asked a local who had a friend who managed to open my car in about 23 seconds.

Ah, but I'm in a lawless country in the Caribbean so maybe not much help
 chris fox 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

What car is it ? my mates clio keys open my car and vice-versa !
 Man city 26 Apr 2014
In reply to andic:

What sort of car is it? Try forcing the window down with your hands, you maybe surprised. Also if its got airbags it may also have auto unlock in event of an accident, so give it a proper good kick on the front bumper, it might "fool" the management subsystem into thinking its been in an accident & unlock the car via the central locking. Also try a metal ruler down the window seal above the lock, you can pull/flick the lock open, but this works best if the ruler has a hook on it.
If all this fails, smash the smallest window, make sure you can reach the door catch though.
Hope this helps
MaxWilliam 26 Apr 2014
In reply to Man city:

> Also if its got airbags it may also have auto unlock in event of an accident, so give it a proper good kick on the front bumper, it might "fool" the management subsystem into thinking its been in an accident & unlock the car via the central locking.

Is this from experience or just watching die hard....? Kick the bumper of a car and hey presto the doors magically unlock and the airbags go off...? I would have thought a modern car is sophisticated enough to know it has not been in an accident if the key isn't in the ignition, it is not moving etc!
Jim C 26 Apr 2014
In reply to marsbar:
Glad to help.

I tend to go on driving holidays, Islands etc, and having a spare set of keys ( not in the car, usually a small bumbag or similar) is a must when far away from home.

I once watched a guy get into his sports car with a huge long branch off a tree in Glen Nevis. I think his spare keys were at home ( somewhere in a England)

He trashed the rubber seal round the door, but he was desparate. It is a great thing to learn from other peoples mistakes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...