UKC

Memorial on climb up to Harter Fell from Nan Bield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 27 Apr 2014
Was out for a run yesterday and on the climb out of Nan Bield to Harter Fell just on the first levelling saw a very crude little plaque fixed to a rock with a heap of brown silicone sealent, its made of some horrible plastic with a verse on it, no names or specifics though, you can spot it from 100 meters away, totally out of place, looks like a fairly new addition.

Presume its a memorial to somebody, i was tempted to rip it off and dispose of it but my Mrs wasnt keen so left it in place.

Will post some photos later

Anybody else seen it, know anything about it ?
llechwedd 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Is it the one with the verse

"If you can read this plaque without glasses
then you're standing in my ashes"?
Removed User 27 Apr 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've spotted a few of these about, there was a brass plaque near Sty Head and a big slate slab stuck to the trig point on Coniston Old Man. Neither lasted more than a few months so I suspect the one you spotted will not last the summer?
OP Dark-Cloud 27 Apr 2014
In reply to llechwedd:

Ha ha, like that one !

If it's there when I next pass then I will take it off, it's an eyesore......
 wercat 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'd be inclined to be tolerant as it marks a sad loss for someone. Personally I'm a lot more upset than the fencing off of areas of the fells and gills that is happening in places like the slopes of Helvellyn above say, Swirls. Ways down I've taken habitually for many years are closed.
OP Dark-Cloud 28 Apr 2014
In reply to wercat:

If it was slate or local stone you wouldn't even be able to see it but a bit of sandstone looking plastic is a bit ugly really....
 wilkesley 29 Apr 2014
In reply to wercat:
> I'd be inclined to be tolerant as it marks a sad loss for someone. Personally I'm a lot more upset than the fencing off of areas of the fells and gills that is happening in places like the slopes of Helvellyn above say, Swirls. Ways down I've taken habitually for many years are closed.

Personally I view such things as litter. If there is any form of identification of the deceased on the plaque, I would suggest a polite letter to the relatives explaining why such things are not a good idea and asking them to remove it.

There was a case on Tryfan a year or so ago where some people decided to place a plaque in memory of a young person who had died. After various people explaining to them why it wasn't a good idea they agreed to remove it.

If fences are erected there should be ladder styles to make it easy to get over them.
Post edited at 11:43
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'd report it to the National Park Authority and let the ranger remove it.
 wercat 02 May 2014
In reply to wilkesley:
it's a poor power of discernment that can't tell a memorial from litter.

A bit like traffic wardens treating an honest mistake as severely as someone who doesn't care how they park, ie without any humanity

Not that I am in favour of people leaving memorials generally but the weather will eventually sort it out
Post edited at 13:39
JaneCart 23 May 2014
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Oh my that's hideous and very prominently placed.
abseil 23 May 2014
In reply to wercat:

> I'd be inclined to be tolerant as it marks a sad loss for someone...

But with respect for whoever suffered the loss, does their loss give them the right to do that?

To me it's not a matter of degree [the size of the memorial - what about a 20-foot cross at the bottom of the Idwal Slabs? Who would tolerate that?] but of principle.

I personally wouldn't dream of putting a memorial on common land/ on land I didn't own.
 hexcentric 24 May 2014
In reply to JaneCart:

Totally agree!! Get it ripped off and chucked in the bin!!
 Coel Hellier 24 May 2014
In reply to wercat:

> Not that I am in favour of people leaving memorials generally but the weather will eventually sort it out

If that is plastic then the weather will take decades to "sort it out". It is entirely inappropriate and should be removed.
 Flinticus 27 May 2014
In reply to Coel Hellier:

If a memorial to someone who loved the area (I presume that's why its there), I imagine the deceased would prefer it wasn't there. Probably erected by family / friends / relatives who didn't necessarily share the deceased love of the place. I'd hate it if, after my death, my family did such a thing.
 krikoman 27 May 2014
In reply to Flinticus:
> I'd hate it if, after my death, my family did such a thing.

Don't worry

Flinticus 28 May 2014
In reply to krikoman:

Though I have requested a sky burial so you may come across my half eaten corpse. Walker's dogs off lead are welcome to my bones.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...