/ Cramp in second hand Scarpa Manta boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Charley17 - on 28 Apr 2014
When wearing my mantas all day I often get a cramp type pain in my middle and 4th toes on both feet. The boots were second hand and so this may be due to them having moulded to someone elses feet. Does anyone know how I can get around this without buying a brand new pair.
Thanks!
In reply to Charley17:

Change insole? Change socks? Get the boot stretched? Any combination of these?
Mal Grey - on 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Charley17:

I'd go with changing the insoles first. Also, make sure they're not too tightly laced across the front of the foot.

Jack B on 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Charley17:

I get this a bit with my Mantas (which I've had since new). I think there's quite a lot of tongue bunched up there. I find it useful to lace slightly looser at the bottom. If that leads to your foot sliding about, tighten up the top section.
Duncan Beard - on 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Charley17:

I don't have Mantas, but I do I have Scarpa Cristallos. After a few walking trips the cuff finally broke in enough that it didn't chew my leg up anymore. Then when I started lacing them a bit tighter for climbing and to resist heel lift with crampons I got pins and needles in my toes. They are loose in the heel and taper too much at the front for my shape feet really. I find if I tighten them they hurt over the top of my foot and presumably cut off the circulation. If I don't tighten them, my feet slide down in them when descending until they hurt anyway. Seems like I will always need to wear two pairs of thick socks so too warm for year round use. I'm going to get some La Sportiva Trango Cubes when shops start stocking them - the Trango last suits my foot.
Climbing Pieman on 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Duncan Beard:

> I don't have Mantas, but I do I have Scarpa Cristallos..... I find if I tighten them they hurt over the top of my foot and presumably cut off the circulation. If I don't tighten them, my feet slide down in them when descending until they hurt anyway.

I had that, but discovered that if you use an alternative lacing technique it solves it. I re-laced by removing just one of the cross overs in the middle section, now straight to next one on either side - the part over the bridge part of the foot (if that all makes sense). Completely removed the pressure and allowed the boots to be fully tightened. Never had the problem since.
I appreciate that you are swopping to Trangos, but it may help meantime.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.