UKC

Climbing with a 6 year old in the Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeytash 28 Apr 2014
Can anyone recommend a good single pitch crag where I can put up a top rope and take my 6 year old climbing in the Lakes? We're staying at Helvellyn, so preferably near to there. Need to be easy routes that my son can manage. Thanks.
 trekclimb 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

Brown Crag slabs Shepherds Crag
OP monkeytash 28 Apr 2014
In reply to trekclimb:

Thanks
 butteredfrog 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

You can top-rope a couple of routes at Jackdaw ridge end of Shepherds as well. Just over the stile you can scramble up and traverse in to rig a couple of 50'(ish) routes.

Also in Borrowdale; Wodens face, left hand end. Dalt quarry.
 Neil Williams 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:
We found some random craggy bits on the top of the Hardknott Pass Easter weekend. Were fine for a bit of mucking about with novices and because they aren't established crags we were the only ones there.

Neil
Post edited at 19:28
 DerwentDiluted 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

Glaciated slab springs to mind.
 nickcj 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

If you are in Glenridding/patterdale below helvellyn then Oxford crag is worth a look. I use it regularly with younger school groups.
paddy cave 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

Oxford Crag has easy routes on fairly good rock. Used to be stakes at the top to rig on, not sure now?? Rigging rope needed. Easy walk from Patterdale Village heading up towards Arnison Crag. Oxford is at GR 394 154.

Paddy
 John Kelly 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

West ridge Side Pike - series of short rock steps (interesting geology) to summit - probably more hands on for kids than pitching - there are some longer sections (avoidable)that you could rope
limited free parking at the col
john
 Tom the tall 28 Apr 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

Church crag, St. John's in the vale. Easy access, staple bolts on top to rig top rope, various routes. My 6 year old enjoys it!
 John Kelly 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Tom the tall:

where's that? have you grid ref
cheers
 Tom the tall 29 Apr 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

In the logbooks here:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=16853

Park at the churc/youth centre north of High Rigg. Lovely morning venue in the sun.
 John Kelly 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Tom the tall:

thanks i'll give it a go
john
OP monkeytash 01 May 2014
In reply to monkeytash:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...