UKC

Which is harder: v diff or running a sub-5 hour marathon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Rose 28 Apr 2014

Which is harder: leading v diff or running a sub-5 hour marathon? Enough of the super heroes on the other thread. Let's hear it for the average couch potato. And while we're about it, is leading HVS harder than a sub-4 hour marathon?
Post edited at 20:30
In reply to davidoldfart:
We need an official UKC climbing grade to running conversion chart!

F3 100m to corner shop
F3+ 100m back from corner shop with bottle of milk
F4 2.5km without stopping or dying
F4+ 2.5km in 20min
F5 5km in 40min
F5+ 5km in 30min
F6a 10km in 1hr
F6a+ 10km in 50min
F6b 10 miles in 1.5 hrs
F6b+ Half marathon in 2hrs
F6c Marathon in 4 hrs
F6c+ Marathon in 3.45
F7a Marathon in 3.30
F7b Marathon in 3.20
F7c Marathon in 3.10
F7c+ Marathon in 3.00
Post edited at 20:44
 gdnknf 28 Apr 2014
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:
For me, that chart is surprisingly accurate.
Post edited at 20:48
 Andrew Wilson 28 Apr 2014
In reply to gdnknf:

Not for me I hope. I would have to re-live my entire life to achieve a marathon time of 3.30!
 The Norris 28 Apr 2014

I'd have to agree, that is spot on! At least up to 6b for me, and i am mr average at everything, good at nothing.
 Kirill 28 Apr 2014

This is brilliant!
OP David Rose 28 Apr 2014

Is it harder to send a 5.14d or to run 100 metres in less than 9.9 seconds? Harder to redpoint an F9a or to win an Olympic grand slalom? Harder to solo Shrike in the wet or achieve a 150 metre free dive?
Andy Gamisou 29 Apr 2014

Thanks for that Tom. From your chart it looks like I can run a marathon in around 3:30. I'd always wondered if I could run a marathon, and if so how fast. Feeling quite proud of myself now!
 Offwidth 29 Apr 2014

Good greif, even on joke threads elitism infects climbing. How the hell is somone who can barely walk going to get up a F3 without a heart attack.
 Neil Williams 29 Apr 2014
"F6a+ 10km in 50min
F6b 10 miles in 1.5 hrs
F6b+ Half marathon in 2hrs"

Quite interesting that I can do those, and that (well, the bottom end of it) about where my climbing grade is as well.

Just because they are averages for a reasonably fit (but not specifically training for stuff other than going climbing once or twice a week socially and running 3 or so times) adult I guess?

Neil
Post edited at 09:30
 Neil Williams 29 Apr 2014

In all seriousness though...leading is a head game (particularly easy grades) while running is more of a fitness thing (though carrying on when you're knackered is a head game, which applies to the marathon pretty well). So it probably depends if you're better at managing fear than getting fit.

Neil
 BarrySW19 01 May 2014

Looks about right - I got stuck at 4:00 for the marathon and I seem to be stuck at 6c now...
 BarrySW19 01 May 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:
I find you need the same mental tricks - in the same way you need to focus on the next mile marker in the marathon you need to focus on the next move on a hard climb. If you look how far it is to the end on either it can break your motivation. I find I just need to tell myself - "I don't have to finish this, I'll just do one more move/mile and then decide" until eventually I'm there.
Post edited at 08:03

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...