UKC

Finished my first Duathlon!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 28 Apr 2014
Did a Duathlon yesterday, just wanted to let you guys know I'd survived it and to thanks you for all your help.

I do a lot of cycling so it was the running I was worried about, but actually the running was the easy bit. Was planning on an hour for the 10km but did it 10mins quicker and still felt good going into T1. Got sorted out fairly quickly and was only a minute in transition (I realise that's probably very slow!). At first the bike was really hard after running but I started to get into the swing of it by lap 2. On the 3rd lap just as I was cornering I got really really bad cramp in my leg. It felt like I'd been shot in the leg and it spasmed like crazy. Anyway I fell off as you can imagine. I swore a bit and lay there for a while rubbing my leg. Tried to get back up and it was still very painful and I fell over again :-P Had about 10 minutes of lying by the side of the road and it started to feel better. I managed to complete the other laps (albeit very slowly) and get into T2. The 40km bike leg took an embarrassing 1 hour 28. T2 took me nearly 2 minutes as I realised I could hardly use my leg at all. For the final 5km I walked most of it which resulted in me over 31 minutes :-/

Still it was my first event so I was only aiming to finish and I was never going to get a particularly good time anyway as I'm not very good at running.

Anyway more training needed! I'd also like to find out why I got cramp so bad. The only thing that springs to mind was that on the day I realised the gel's I'd brought were caffeinated, whereas I usually just use plain ones. I ate 235mg of caffeine - is that a lot? Maybe that's why I cramped?

Oh one last thing, I didn't realise that disc wheels make your bike sound like a jet fighter!!!!! *runs off to eBay giggling*

woolsack 28 Apr 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Well done, duathlon sounds a much better option to that horrible swimming bit
In reply to woolsack:

It was raining so it was a bit like a triathlon
 Voltemands 29 Apr 2014

Stockton?
 jethro kiernan 29 Apr 2014

congratulations, time to get in a swimming pool now
In reply to Voltemands:

Yep.
In reply to jethro kiernan:

I think I'll stick to Duathlons for the foreseeable, I can't really swim :-P Probably should get some lessons at some point I suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...