UKC

Starter Cracks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 28 Apr 2014
Every time I'm out on the rocks and see a crack somewhere I tend to make a beeline for it. However, these are normally just cracks as part of a route rather than an actual crack route, the only time I've found a crack without any other features was at the back of Diplodocus, Font (not particularly outstanding).
Are there any areas in England/Wales that are good for starting out at crack climbing? I can lead VS/HVS without problem and am based in the W. Midlands if that helps.
And yes, this is mainly due to the Wideboyz phenemonon and the Wild Country Crack School videos.

Thanks, Colin
 gethin_allen 28 Apr 2014
In reply to ColinVern:
Head to the peak district, millstone edge has a couple of my favourites but I'm sure there is a peak district crack list on here somewhere.

Have a look at this list
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=230
Post edited at 22:27
In reply to ColinVern:

Loads of cracks on gritstone crags, natural & quarried. Many are often accompanied by other features (obviously the walls either side, & the crack edges as laybacks/sidepulls, & horizontal breaks etc) but you aren't compelled to use them. How you climb a crack depends on your preferred technique/strengths. Go and try Goliaths Groove or head straight for Rays Roof (not a serious recommendation!!). Plenty more at Stanage, Millstone, Hen Cloud, et al. Nothing as big as in other areas/countries, but enough for you to develop your skills whilst saving up for American Adventures
OP ColinVern 28 Apr 2014
In reply to buxtoncoffeelover:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will have to head to the Peak District soon!
 Offwidth 29 Apr 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Dog Leg Crack Curbar.... lead it, solo/boulder it, lap it. Then do the same on Little Innominate on the same crag. Grit VS is now yours. The list above starts too easy and gets hard too quickly to build jamming skills.
 Choss 29 Apr 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

Jean Jeanie - TrowBarrow

Robs Crack - fairy cave

Trial - wyndcliffe

Rudacious rudolf - huntsham
OP ColinVern 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Cheers guys, seems I have a lot to get on with. Great looking pictures on some of these!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...