UKC

the magic of mushrooms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 29 Apr 2014
Just seen this on BBC4. An unasuming spore of a programme idea feeds on science, intellect and modern production values to shoot off ideas in all directions until your brain is totally captured. Must watch TV
 The Pylon King 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

"modern production values"

I dont like the sound of that but i'll give it a go.
 Dom Whillans 29 Apr 2014
In reply to The Pylon King:

> "modern production values"

> I dont like the sound of that but i'll give it a go.

it had some 21st century music in it... a bit of sigur ros, that kind of thing
 The Pylon King 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Dom Whillans:

> it had some 21st century music in it... a bit of sigur ros, that kind of thing

oh dear..smart arse music.
 Chris the Tall 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

Yep, very interesting, but I'm now waiting for someone to tell me that mushrooms are more animal than vegetable so us veggies shouldn't eat them !

Not sure if it was covered in this program or another, but isn't there one fungi that infects and takes control of a beetle then causes it to climb to the top of a tree. By this point the beetle is a mere zombie, the fungi finally kills it, a shoot comes out of the back of its head to release it's spores over the forest. Nice.
 karinh 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

We think we are the top species on this planet but perhaps we are not. I suspect we are a crop waiting to mature before the top phylum chooses to eat us.
 Richard Carter 29 Apr 2014

Ophiocordyceps unilateralis
 duchessofmalfi 29 Apr 2014
It isn't a fungus but...

Sacculina
 Alex@home 29 Apr 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

i'll correct that for you

> It isn't a fungus but...

> Women

You, my friend, have been watching too much QI.

And so have I...
 ThunderCat 29 Apr 2014

> Not sure if it was covered in this program or another, but isn't there one fungi that infects and takes control of a beetle then causes it to climb to the top of a tree. By this point the beetle is a mere zombie, the fungi finally kills it, a shoot comes out of the back of its head to release it's spores over the forest. Nice.

Saw that on QI as well, but there's an Attenborough clip showing same:

youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8&

Is it just me, or does evolution blow your mind away too?

Amazing that the worker ants who find 'infected' ants know to take the bodies away as well, and dump them as far away as possible to stop the spores infected the group.

Awesome

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...