UKC

Recommend Me a Trad Rock Harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 barbeg 29 Apr 2014
Dear Collective,

Sun's out in Scotland so I'll be heading for the rock soon...need a new rock harness for trad rock climbing. Climb around E2/3...won't be using it for anything else (already have a winter harness I like)...budget not an issue...
So, what would you recommend ? And why ?
ANdy
 Owen W-G 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Andrew Mallinson:

Comfort obviously but loop positions are impt to me and Wild Country always works best IMO.

5 loops (2 at each side, 1 at back) is far superior to 4 loop models with 2 on sides and 2 on rear/back IMO.

Martin Bennett 29 Apr 2014

Arcteryx R300. It took me a long time to talk myself into spending so much but when this one's done I'll buy another. So light, compact and comfy you don't know you have it on. I tied on 2 more gear loops at the back and it's complete. Look no further.
 kevin stephens 29 Apr 2014

Black Diamond Chaos. Not cheapest but comfortable light and good ample gear loops, non adjustable leg loops avoids faff of unnecessary buckles
 jonnie3430 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Arcteryx R300.

Either that or the ladies version, depending on fit. Ladies are also a bit cheaper late in season too in larger sizes. Hahmm.
 alooker 29 Apr 2014

There are loads out there, some fit me better than others. The dmm renegade worked best in the end
 Kai 30 Apr 2014

I'm pretty happy with my Edelrid Orion. Reasonably light, and very comfortable.
 saffy 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Another vote for the R300! Great harness, super comfy and light. I would recommend turning the front 2 gear loops around as it tends to push your rack to the front a little.
 HeMa 30 Apr 2014
In reply to saffy:

Indeed, and perhaps adding a 5th loop at the back (some rubber tubing, and a bit of cord).

The LT275 might also be an option. Pretty much the same harness, just lighter weight.

Skylotec Pure seems pretty much a copy of the R300, just a tad cheaper from Germany.

As my own R300 is wearing down, I'm trying Ocun Ego as a replacement. Seems about the same, 'cept a tad thicker swami belt and also the gear loops feel a tad smaller. Will DIY 5th loop at the back and see how it goes. If the Ego seems good, might also become my winter harness (DIY ice-clipper slots).
 TobyA 30 Apr 2014

I'm a bit unconvinced about recommending spending 50 to 100 quid on a harness and then suggesting people DIY bits to it. Not sure why Arcteryx and BD can't just see that lots of Brits and probably lots of other people around the world like five (or even seven) gear loops and make a version of the otherwise great harnesses with the extra loop?

Personally after using the original DMM Renegade for five years, I'm now equally happy with the new version. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2013/10/dmm-renegade-harness-review.ht...
 Tree 30 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

It's got tubing inside fabric on the gearloops: the plastic over types tend not to wear through as easily, imho...
 HeMa 30 Apr 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> I'm a bit unconvinced about recommending spending 50 to 100 quid on a harness and then suggesting people DIY bits to it.

Horses for cources...

Though I've used my R300 quite a bit, I actually haven't retrofitted anything on it. And seemed to serve my well, from Lofoten to local crags to alpine stuff, like Gran Capucin.

Oh, and indeed the Renegade can be a stellar harness, but to me it seems that the front loops are too far ahead, so not really usable. But I think your size affects this, I'm on the limit between S and M, it would prolly be completely different if I were on the L to XL size.
 neuromancer 30 Apr 2014
In reply to HeMa:

I have to agree - as someone with a S harness, who COULD go to M but would find it a loose waist belt (and this puts me at pretty average size - 6ft, 85kg) - the front loops are so far forwards that anything racked on them falls infront of me. As such, it's only very short quickdraws that ever find their way there.
 andrewmc 30 Apr 2014
In reply to HeMa:
> Oh, and indeed the Renegade can be a stellar harness, but to me it seems that the front loops are too far ahead, so not really usable. But I think your size affects this, I'm on the limit between S and M, it would prolly be completely different if I were on the L to XL size.

I have just got a shiny new Renegade 2 harness to replace my Renegade 1 (won a harness in a competition). The old Renegade was great, but I did notice the gear loops being in the 'hang stuff in front of my legs' position. This was partly because I was in a medium harness which was only just small enough for me (so the waist band was very close to the belay loop) and partly because the gear loops sloped forwards.

On my new Renegade although I haven't had a chance to load them up yet it looks like the gear loops will load stuff to the side of my legs (almost 90 degrees from where stuff used to go). This is partly because I am now in the right size harness (S), and partly because the front gear loops on the Renegade now slope backwards.

When you have seven gear loops, there is only a limited amount of space...

Other than the change in gear loop style from plastic-over to plastic-inside (we shall see how durable that turns out to be) the new Renegade seems almost the same but with minor improvements.

Edit - in reply to Neuromancer, I think moving to a medium harness would make things worse - since the floating waistband bits end up closer to your belay loop (since there is more material to wrap around you but the size of your waist has not changed).
Post edited at 10:39
 Merlin 30 Apr 2014

Anything BD or Edelrid, as they both have stiff moulded gear loops (as opposed to floppy cord through plastic tubing) which makes going for and returning gear in a hurry much easier, and less likely to snag clothing with the krab nose.
 neuromancer 30 Apr 2014
In reply to andrewmcleod:

Maybe I need an XS? who knows. I don't like changing gear, it scares me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...