UKC

Smoking and climbing - Quiting?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sy Finch 30 Apr 2014
I'm now 32 and have been smoking since the age of 15/16. Due to obvious health reasons and my wife being seroulsy against smoking, I am trying to quit. I have probably been on 10-20 a day, although since I've been with the wife the last 4 years, I've had to resort to being a secret smoker, just smoking at work or when out climbing. Well, I keep getting caught out with the smell of smoke even after not having one for 4/5 hours, so I get a lot of grief.
With the abundancy of these vapour pen thingys and many smokers I know on them now, I thought I'd get one tonight and try it out.

I often chain smoke a load of rollies when out climbing to get my fill before going home. It's not been unsual for me to start a climb with one still in my gob! It has annoyed me in the past dogging a climb due to getting pumped out, no doubt having a fag before starting doesn't help, with decreased oxygen flows to muscles. Wanting to push into higher E-grades, increased stamina and less likely to get pumped as quickly will surely help no end.
Just wondering how quitting smoking has affected your climbing?
 Smelly Fox 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

I've quit for coming up on 6 months now, I probably had a similar habit to you beofore this.

I'm definitely noticing that I recover faster when on something pumpy. I still get pumped obviously, but find shakeouts and rests easier to use. Walk-ins are MUCH easier too.

Definitely get an e-cig. They worked for me when nothing else seemed too.

Good luck!

Trist
OP Sy Finch 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Thanks.

Yeah, I got an e-cig on the way in to work tonight and seems pretty good. Hopefully should do the trick. Many smokers I know are on them and aside from having the odd smoke early on, have quit.

Seems the benefits of quitting have helped your climbing.
I have alot of upper body strength so quicker recovery or decreased chances of pump would be a bonus.
 wilkie14c 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

Hi sy, firstly I think you need to get a couple of things straight in your mind in order to give you the very best chance of success - you don't want to give up smoking just to improve your climbing <although it'll be a great byproduct> you want to give up smoking for you wife, youself, kids <if any> your health, your pocket and a whole host of other positive reasons other than climbing. Also your statement about you getting your fill of ciggies while out climbing before having to temp stop when you get home. I think this is because your mind is tricking you into thinking that by stopping smoking you are missing out on something, the thought of loss seems apparant in what you said. These are normal thoughts and nothing to worry about you just need a little conditioning otherwise you'll go 3, 6, 9 or whatever months without cigs but always feel a sense of missing out and loss. I urge you to seek out a copy of Allen Carr's Easy way to stop smoking <not Allen Carr off the TV!> and give it a read. The book really brings some deeply hidden thoughts out to be examined and it'll help you get the right mindset for what you are about to do. You obviously want to do it as you've posted here about it so why not give yourself the very best chance. If you can't get to the shops you can download a kindle or epub format for your phone/tablet. Bear in mind that the book was written before the e-cig explosion and Allen says not to use an e-cig but I feel this is dated now. I used an e-cig several years ago, it was the type that had a white battery that lit up on the end when you sucked the cartridge. The cartridges were quite expensice back then and compared to todays e-cigs they were a bit rubbish!
I use a 'tornado v2' from the totally wicked shop/web. It costs a bit to get set up to start with, I have a spare battery, 2 chargers, one for home and one in the car so no matter where I am I have a charger so no excuse to nip and buy 10 fags. The tornado uses a tiny heating coil with 2 wicks to wick the liquid into the burner, these coils burn out <especially if you allow the tank to go dry/empty> and so I have spare coils at home and in the car. Not talking major here, a new coil once a week/fortnight depending on use. I don't bother with flavoured liquids, just tobacco flavour is all I have. The wife like green tea and dr pepper flavours! I use 2 10ml bottle a week of the 16mg strength. My cranky old work computers browser doesn't work well with UKC in particular the pound sign so forgive the missing symbol but here's an idea of prices:
22.00 = Tornado complete with charger and 3 spare coils
6.00 = pack of 3 coils
4.00 = spare charger <USB>
8.00 = Spare battery
3.00 = per bottle of liquid and its buy 3 get one free at my local shop
Pop along to one of the dedicated smoking/vaping shops and go have a chat, they'll have different models and flavours for you to try. there is a handy app for android/iphone called 'vapemate' that'll keep a running tally of how many fags you've avoided, how much you're spending on vaping and how much you are saving overall so check that out, its good to take a quick look everytime you fancy a fag as its an instant motivator.
Get rid of the death stuff in fags first and then work to slowly reduce your nicotine intake to zero. Very best of luck mate and let us know how you are getting on. I've found UKC offers nothing but support and motivation for those quitting.
Fag free for 29 days - 877 fags avoided :-D
 wilkie14c 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

BTW, it'd take more than quitting smoking to improve my climbing but those steep walk-ins are a whole lot easier!
 deacondeacon 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

So many people have different experiences with packing in the ciggies that I think you have to find your own answer. But as Wilkie stated the Alan Carr book is brilliant. At first it comes across as pretty cheesy but stick with it and it'll be impossible to fail

I was on 20+ a day and managed to pack it in by going cold turkey. It really does get better over time and the cravings became bEarable after three weeks. It's been three years now and I honestly don't get any cravings anymore.

The important thing for me was not trying to stop for anyone else but myself. Forget about wives, girlfriends, colleagues, money etc, you need to be 100% convinced that YOU want to stop or it'll never work.

I'm going to be honest and say of all the people I know who have tried giving up, only the people who went cold turkey had success. Infactmy dad is still on nicotine gum 9 years later.

Good luck sounds stupid but it'll be one of the proudest things you ever do.
 woolsack 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

After smoking for all my adult life I stopped on my 40th birthday. Cold turkey, no patches, no e-cigs, no nothing. Just will power. Nothing else. I decided I no longer wanted to smoke so I don't.
Not once in 8 years have I had cravings because I've just told myself I don't smoke.
You've just got to want to do it. It sounds like you don't, not just yet anyway.
If you are bloodyminded enough about it you can do it.

I've tried halfheartedy giving up loads of times before but always found bullshit excuses: I'll cut down, I'll only smoke on alternate days etc etc.

Come my 40th birthday I knew here was an immovable date and if I didn't do it now I'd never do it. So I just dug in and psyched myself in to being a non smoker. It's worked, I don't stink, I have a sense of smell and taste and I can ride a bike hard for hours on end without withering into a breathless heap at the side of the road
You can do it if you want
OP Sy Finch 30 Apr 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Thanks and to other posters.
I am trying to quit for all reasons mentioned really. I've been wanting to quit for a while, but tbh i quite enjoy (as most do) the routine of it, smoke n a coffee type thing. But i realise i must stop at some point, so now it is. Hopefully benefiting in better stamina, walks-ins etc is just one of the reasons i want to quit, since this is a climbing forum, thats why i ask about benefits for climbing in quitting. Climbing is just that added incentive.
A few years ago i went cold turkey for about 4/5 months so hopefully i can have the will power to quit for good finally. I bought one of those e-vape pen things lastnight and it seems to do the trick. A few mates who were heavy smokers have sworn by them and quit more or less straight away.
Of course there is still the nicotine intake from them, but I plan to reduce the strengths to nothing hopefully.
Thanks and good to hear everyone's experiences and i shall post an update in a few months or so.
 peebles boy 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

Some thoughts...

E-cig things seem to work, but be wary of returning to cigarettes as the e one can lead to you having a higher dependency on nicotine as you are cake to use it more often in pubs etc.

For me (6 months no smoking, similar situation to your OP) I found telling myself "that's it, I've quit" just put more pressure on (have properly tried to stop 3 times) but this time I've said "no more cigarettes til my next cigarette" and that slight change in emphasis has made it easier - tho someone else may find that as an excuse to start again!

Tried the Allen Carr book, did absolutely nothing, didn't even manage a week after it, happy to post it to you if you want a copy tho!
 ThunderCat 30 Apr 2014
In reply to peebles boy:

> Tried the Allen Carr book, did absolutely nothing, didn't even manage a week after it, happy to post it to you if you want a copy tho!

I'd take him up on the offer mate. The book worked for me and I'll always recommend it on 'quitting fags' threads.

Easy to read (I got through it in a day at work, mostly skiving in the toilet). Just get stuck in and read it, don't feel obliged to pack in the tabs before you read it...I still had almost a full pack of 20 and I had pretty much decided to pack them in before I was halfway through the book.

No horror stories or scare tactics....it just puts a couple of ideas in your head and makes you see smoking from a different point of view. Makes you see addiction from a different point of view too. I didn't feel any withdrawal pangs of cravings at all. Felt like I'd never been a smoker.

Let us know how you get on, whichever method you choose, and best of luck
 tlm 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

I'd give another endorsement for the Alan Carr book; here is an online version:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

I think the main thing to understand is that although it gets easier and easier, to the point of being hardly any effort, as you have found out for yourself, it is pretty easy to get re-addicted.

I gave up ermmmm..... 24 years ago, cold turkey after reading Alan's book and am delighted that I managed it! There are plenty of other things in life to indulge in, but nicotine in any form isn't one of them for me.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the whole process!

floss_81 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

Try not to get fat, that will really chuck a spanner in the works with the climbing.

As soon as I gave up the fags my appetite returned with vengeance and I turned into a real porker. +15kg!! I couldn't eat enough. Climbing went massively down hill. Now a year latter i've managed to shift the podge and Im back to normal.
OP Sy Finch 30 Apr 2014
In reply to peebles boy:
Yes, i agree. With the contnuing intake of nicotine I can see how it could be easier to go back to fags. Although, talking to a mate lastnight, he has been on the E- vape a month or so and said when he can smell fag smoke on someone it puts him right off wanting to a have a sly one.
As i said before, I went cold turkey for 4 months or so, but that was down to pressure from the misus and I guess I just did't want to quit then. Now, I see I must finally make that date to quit while I'm still relatively young. I can remember too the smell of smoke was off putting, but the craving was still in there somewhere, plus not wanting to quit in the first place.
Thanks for the offer on the book, much appreciated. I will see how i get on for the next week or so and gladly take you up on that if I feel I need the extra help.
 RomTheBear 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:
> Just wondering how quitting smoking has affected your climbing?

On short routes at the crag I find it makes no difference to the climbing. Actually a fag before a scary climb helped me get into focus.

I think it makes a big difference though on a mountain routes with a long approach. If you're smoking you just arrive already knackered at the bottom of the route which is no good.

Personally I switched from heavy smoking (20 a day) to smoking about 10 cigarettes per month in social situations or as a "reward smoke" after a long day in the hills.
The most important is to try to quit smoking at a time when you have a good positive frame of mind and when you have no other worries going on. Plus lots and lots of sports helps.

Ecigs are good if you can't do otherwise, but they keep your body used to high levels of nicotine which is a problem, plus compared to a real smoke they totally suck, but if you can't manage otherwise they are a good substitute.
Post edited at 10:50
 Gazlynn 30 Apr 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

> "The most important is to try to quit smoking at a time when you have a good positive frame of mind and when you have no other worries going on"

After numerous failed attempts at giving up the fags I am now 4 years without a ciggy.

At the time when I gave up my life was in turmoil I had just been made redundant and my relationship had just broken up.

It also helped me to be that skint that I honestly couldn't afford to smoke.

Plus I thought if I can give up now I will of cracked it.

I also joined an weekly NHS stopping smoking clinic which helped a great deal.

good luck with it

cheers

Gaz

tlm 30 Apr 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

> The most important is to try to quit smoking at a time when you have a good positive frame of mind and when you have no other worries going on. Plus lots and lots of sports helps.

I must admit that I gave up during a time of turmoil myself. However, everything that was going wrong around me just made me more stubborn and determined to stick with it. I thought that no matter what else went wrong, this was the one thing that I had absolute control over, and it wasn't going to affect me giving up.
 antdav 30 Apr 2014
I swapped fags for e-cigs last February. Every other method didn't work for me.

I'm yet to find a decent shop selling e-cigs and the ones in garages or Tesco are really poor examples, their mainly the lowest price ones. Some decent shops seem to be springing up in big towns. Socialites stands are in a few places, still pretty poor compared to the best sellers but will do in an emergency.

Do some research and invest a bit of cash in something that's got good reviews. The cig and the juice will both be much better.

Wouldn't say it's improved the climbing but the approaches are certainly easier and more cash to spend on shiny things. I'm sure to some level recovery time and endurance have increased so more improvement from the ability to train more I would think.

JMGLondon 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

I gave up 2 years and 336 days ago. It was the day after Man Utd lost the CL final to Barcelona and I must have smoked 40 fags that night. I woke up with that horrific smokers hangover and made a decision to quit there and then.

As you know, going cold turkey is tough, but (IMO) it's the best way. You need to take advantage of that mental decision to quit and the momentum that comes with it. I think that e-cigs / gum etc provide a middle ground and it's easier to turn back to the fags when that mental strength to quit begins to inevitably erode.

I climbed throughout but found that running was crucial. My decision to quit smoking coincided with the significant gains you get when you first start running properly - like shaving 5 mins of your 10k or getting 1 min quicker week by week at the local parkrun. I was proud of these achievements and wanted to improve them. I knew that if I started smoking again I would have no chance so it was a great, tangible reason to stay off the fags.

Good luck. It's tough but you can do it. Personally, giving up the fags has been my proudest achievement.
 David Rose 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

I agree that running or other intense aerobic exercise will help. But look: it's not that hard. I smoked up to 20 a day between my mid teens and late 20s. Then cut it down a few a week and gave up altogether when I was 39. Much sooner than you think, you will not miss it at all. Just do it.
 NaCl 01 May 2014
In reply to Sy Finch:

I'm 37 and gave up about 6 months ago having smoked since 16 (smoking weed a few times a day) and 20 (smoking "properly"). Gave up mainly as I'm at a place where there's only a few things I can do to make any more gains now.
I went the Champix (pills) route, smoked for 2 days after I started taking it and haven't smoked since. Never even took a full dose of the stuff.
In terms of actual grade gains I haven't seen them so much. I have noticed that I have a bit more staying power when putting gear in and not suffered pump as much as last year.
Some of it may be in my head but if it gives you more confidence, mental fortitude or anything frankly who cares?

Sounds like where in a similar climbing position - I'm happy enough on E1 and going E2/3 on a good gear day...
OP Sy Finch 01 May 2014
In reply to NaCl:

Thanks.

Yes, a pretty similar climbing position really.
Short routes are not too much of a problem, save for faffing with gear, or after doing multiple routes/smokes. Having heard from quitters that they have felt more energetic I hope this will show in my climbing. I have many 30m+ E2/3s on my wishlist that I would just like to be able to on-sight as comfortably as possible. Hopefully quitting smoking can make that more likely. And yes, no doubt it will help mentally knowing that you are likely to be physically more capable.
I don't expect to start jumping grades because of it, but as you say, it's one less thing to get in the way. Being 6'2" with ape arms, good upper body strength and a pretty good head for it, I'd like to get in a few hard climbs. Having better staying power and recovery would be most welcome alongside improving technique.
A particular aim for me is I have had several sessions on a trad roof project that I'm determined to finish for the first ascent. Considerably harder than anything I've climbed so far. It involves multiple moves hanging under a roof in order to get in a position to pull out from it. Final moves involve hanging from a mono to heel hooks, a horizontal superman stretch to hang on one handed to pull up on it to reach a desperately distant mono over the roof. Miserably pumpy to say the least. It's the final move to the mono that's beating me, and then there's the following move to do! Well, maybe I can get it done, who knows. Quitting can only be step towards achieving it. Anyway I'll stop drivelling on.

So yeah, it's good to hear from people that signs of improved physical endurance have been noticed.
Just to reiterate, as implied in some other peoples posts, it's a combination of all the usual reasons why I am trying to quit now, not just to try and improve in climbing. The focus here on climbing performance is purely since this is a climbing forum.

Anyway, thanks all for sharing your experiences and well wishes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...