/ Hand / finger tendonitis - suggestions please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ow arm - on 30 Apr 2014
I thought Id injured a finger pulley whilst climbing a while back so Ive not climbed in about 6 weeks but the problem is still there and a new tender spot has cropped up.

Right hand 'ring' finger feels like a firm lump on the A2 pulley, now also a tender spot on the A4, and on the palm tendon there is a firm lump where the ring and little finger tendons meet.

What on earth is going on there, im only 31 and dont have arthritis.
Ive booked to see my GP next week but in the meantime Id like to get some advice from the climbing community especially anyone who has had similar problems or knowledge
ow arm - on 30 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

anyone?
robblowen - on 30 Apr 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Not an expert on injuries but I had a pulley injury on my ring finger (2 finger pull ups when bored without warming up, loud pop and agonising pain), I iced it every night for around 20 minutes, some studies say less but the one I read (can't find it now) said the brain thinks the body has been submerged in cold water so sends the blood to your core. Your finger will be really painful during this period (around 5 minutes) without blood, then it realises its a localised problem (e.g. just your finger submerged) and rushes blood back to that area. This continues for around 60/90 minutes after the finger is withdrawn from the water, this speeds up recovery as the reason finger injuries are so slow to repair is lack of blood flow. From what the report said it is more benificial than hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold as was thought to be the best treatment previously. I don't know what current thinking is but I couldn't even open a normal pull door when I did my finger and after four weeks could do a pull up on a bar. Hope this helps or at least steers you in the right way.
Rob.
ow arm - on 01 May 2014
In reply to robblowen:

meh I dont think its the same thing, i didnt have any particular moment when I knew id injured it, plus its been over 6 weeks now since it started
RFWilkie - on 01 May 2014
gingerwolf - on 01 May 2014
ow arm - on 01 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

very helpful suggestions and that link is great
Looks like the Dupuytrens in its early stage, no limitation of movement yet though.
Ill update after next weeks visit to GP (although do expect a big rant if he just tries to prescribe me some tablets!)
ads.ukclimbing.com
ow arm - on 07 May 2014
In reply to ow arm:

update - Regarding the thickened tendon in my palm the GP thinks its dupuytren aswell, going to be refd on to orthopaedics.
Regarding the finger pulley pain and inflammation, no idea on that but hopefully will get some cortisone injections soon.

Interestingly dupuytren may be caused by trauma such as when I fell off my bike last summer and broke my right elbow, my hand was the first thing to hit the floor, open palm so that may be the cause of that.

Anyone else here had any experience of dupuytrens contracture, theres conflicting advice whether to stretch the palm or not?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.