UKC

Jacket cuffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 betathief 30 Apr 2014
Hi,

Just been searching the net for a new jacket, but my current jacket and the previous one both had poor cuff seals, as does my soft shell jacket. The two Gore-tex jackets had normal velcro, but this soon becomes quite useless, and has even started curling on my Berghaus jacket, so when climbing it often comes open. The soft shell has a plastic/rubber and velcro system that worked for a while but is also now useless.

I watched this video and saw that at 1.20-1.40 shows a cuff that is like a thumb loop/gaiter, i think its a great idea but its custom. Are there any jackets out there that have this kind of cuff, or a decent elastic as to not have the same problem as the jackets stated above.

vimeo.com/27337994

Thanks,

Ant
 PPP 30 Apr 2014
In reply to the ant hill mob:

They are actually called "Thumb loops". Looks like Haglofs jackets have this feature (at least Endo, Gram and Puls models).

Some baselayers, fleeces (I remember Berghaus Parione has it) and softshells also feature this idea. However, I was also very happy with this idea and I bought a fleece with such loops on Sportpursuit (it's made by company called Izas). The thumb loops weren't very comfortable to wear and the fleece got piled after few days of walking. So don't just think about a feature, look at the whole garment.
 NottsRich 01 May 2014

I've got a Fitzroy jacket and love it, except for the velcro cuffs. When I first got it I was teasing someone that bought a Haglofs belay jacket with elasticated cuffs - I really didn't like them.

Several too many blizzards later and I'm a little tired of velcro becoming useless when iced up and needing to be thawed out to work again (a few hot breaths, but I'd rather not have to!). Elasticated cuffs seem like the way forward to me. Can't remember the model of jacket, but it's definitely Haglofs. Female version if it makes a difference. Still prefer the Fitzroy overall though!
 Bob 01 May 2014

I've a Marmot softshell that has it. Some models of Helly Hansen pile jackets have it. Not a new idea - the HH jackets were from the 1980s.

Best cuff closure system I've come across was on the Latok alpine jacket (Latok was the forerunner to Lowe Alpine), it was velcro but looped through a plastic "pulley" for want of a better word. Usable with full winter gloves and easily adjustable.
 The New NickB 01 May 2014

I've got a few items of clothing with thumb loops, the famous R1 hoody has them, not seen them much on shell layers, but recently bought an Inov8 racelite running waterproof and that has them.
 BnB 01 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

I run hot and hate thumb loops. I like to be able to shut out the elements, but sometimes I prefer to cool my wrists!!
OP betathief 01 May 2014
In reply to NottsRich:

I will try and have a look at the haglofs jackets, I do have a thin alpine layer with the thumb loops etc, but would like the feature on a shell jacket.

Something similar to a inner gaiter found on ski/snowboard jackets and trousers with a thumb loop that can go through would be a good idea. Might be a case of tailoring a jacket to my own design. Does anyone know where this can be done? without damaging the waterproofing?
 galpinos 01 May 2014

This has kind of thumb loops:

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/clothing/layers/shell-layer/men/l_i_m...

My old LIM jacket hand thumb loops and it was just a way to get wet wrists.

They are very much optional, you don't have to use the loop. I have some OMM arms, which are great, they have loops, but I find I generally don't use them.

I find if I am putting on a waterproof layer when running, conditions have crapped out sufficiently to appreciate that tiny bit of extra warmth around my wrists.

I bought one of these new Black Diamond Coefficient hoodies and find it a good alternative to an R1. Extended Lycra sleeves are good for wrist warmth.

http://www.themountainfactor.com/black-diamond-mens-coefficient-hoody--gran...

To the general point of failing Lycra - I fitted brass popper studs ( bought from John Lewis) to supplement the Velcro on my Marmot Glenmore jacket, and they work well lto secure the main zip. cuffs could get the same treatment but more tricky - would need to remove some Velcro to make space, also thicker material to fit the stud on.
 Fraser 01 May 2014

The only jacket I have with thumb loops is a cheapo soft-shell I got at Decathlon - Bionnassay 'something' I think it is. Never use them though as the elasticated cuff alone means it's a very secure seal. I run quite cold though so if you're the opposite, it may not be for you.
 GarethSL 01 May 2014

I've never had a problem with most velcro cuffs, I still think Arc'teryx has the best design with their stiff laminated tabs that aren't pure rubber with little studs (which is becoming increasingly popular) but actual bonded velcro.

Klattermusen have the interesting webbing and ladder-lock buckle cuffs on their heavier jackets and simple elastic shock cord on their lighter weight/softshell jackets. Though both designs are utterly terrible in practical use.
In reply to fairweatherclimber:

> I bought one of these new Black Diamond Coefficient hoodies and find it a good alternative to an R1. Extended Lycra sleeves are good for wrist warmth.

I bought one of them as well in a moment of weakness. Not sure which I prefer.

PPP 01 May 2014

Just for your interest, that jacket is most likely to be Mountain Hardwear Blazar.
OP betathief 02 May 2014
In reply to PPP:
Yeah I found the jacket, but its too minimalist for me, as you posted earlier its the whole garment and not just a feature, I would need a chest pocket or 2, longer back etc. although i like the idea of this feature.

Once my ankle is healed I will have a shop around as most of the suggestions so far are for light weight summer jackets, whereas i would like to replace my winter jacket in the hope of an end of season bargain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...