UKC

Vango Venom sleeping bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Burns 01 May 2014
Hi Anyone used the Venom sleeping bag, it's called the Venom 200. Thinking of getting one but it looks pretty thin in the store. Any feedback on use?
 AGilmour 04 May 2014
In reply to John Burns:

I've had the Venom 220 for a good few years now after picking it up cheap (£30) when I was after a thin, light summer sleeping bag. It's been used in Europe, and in Scotland in Summer (haven't really been brave enough to try it in anything too cold) and was excellent.

First used in Poland on a 2 week trek and the small pack size was fantastic as I could fit it in a Podsacs XS Drybag, and was plenty warm enough. Have since used in Scotland for everything from DoE to multi-day bothy/camping trips in the Cairngorms with no problems - as long as you're careful you'll be fine not to nick the fabric.

Only criticisms are that mine has a bit of a tendency to drop feathers (but hopefully this has been rectified in newer models), and that the zip is only half length, which has only been an issue on really warm nights when I've wanted to be able to unzip it completely and use it as a blanket.
 Heggie 04 May 2014
In reply to AGilmour:

This looks like it might be the kind of bag I am looking for. I don't suppose you can give me some idea how long it is? Does not seem to come in differnt lengths, do you reckon it would work for a tallish guy? (6'3" or thereabouts)
 AGilmour 05 May 2014
In reply to Heggie:

The stuffsack claims it's 210cm long by 75cm at the shoulders.

Also, for info the Venom 225 I have claims to have a comfort rating of 22 to 3 degrees, and an extreme of -5, all weighing in at 650g.
runningbondy 12 May 2014
In reply to John Burns:

I've got the 150 and the 300, the 300 was super warm in an Icelandic summer and even kept me warm in the Lake District at below freezing (I know it was cold my water bottle had frozen) though I have only used the 150 indoors or on Mountain marathons - was a bit minimalist for the OMM but warm enough to get some sleep! For the price I couldn't find a better bag in terms of weight/warmth though was worried it woldn't be at all warm given there seems to be nothing in it to insulate you!
In reply to John Burns:

I've got a 300 in the last model, which I got for about seventy quid in a sale. It's definitely a bit light on both loft and down, without being particularly light in weight. It was supposed to be for my wife - I have a PD 400 - but as soon as the temperature dropped into mid-single figures, she was frozen. I'm a warmish sleeper, so swapped with her and found it bearable at about 3-5 C, but certainly not comfy.

For 70 quid, it's about right. If I'd paid 130, I'd be MUCH more negative about it. I think there are just way better bags out there for similar money, I'm afraid.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...