UKC

Mac help - files open in "wrong" program after restart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 02 May 2014
OK Mac gurus, here's the issue: I prefer to open some file types with alternative programs (e.g. mp3s with Quicktime rather than iTunes). I can go to Info and "reset all" to open with QT...however, every time I restart the Mac, everything gets reset to its default (i.e. in this case iTunes).

As a related issue, I then open Firefox and it tells me it is not set as the default browser, so I duly reset that...until the next restart.

There's obviously some global reset going on, but this has only affected me since "upgrading" (?!) to OS X 10.9.

Any ideas how to stop this?
In reply to Nic:

Do you close the little padlock thing in the bottom left on the settings window?
In reply to Nic:

Or ask the same question on Apple Communities (just log in using itunes details). I got loads of help from there as its full of Mac geeks.
 digby 02 May 2014
In reply to Nic:

It sounds like something PRAM related. Try resetting it. Is the date correct? The little battery onboard that keeps the PRAM going might need changing. You're going to have to do a bit of googling! Try repairing permissions etc.
OP Nic 02 May 2014
In reply to mh554:

Yes, locking the file makes no difference after the restart

Will ask on the Mac forums if I don't get an answer here...easier to post here and answers likely to be more user friendly! (I did google a couple of queries but nothing came up...but then I might be searching the wrong terms)

How do I check the PRAM?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...