UKC

Avon - Unknown Wall VS Rockfall update please?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Didymus 02 May 2014
Anyone know about the state of Unknown Wall VS since rockfall in Jan 2013?
Several people have logged since then without comment.
So it appears climbable.
Haven't climbed for 4 months due to broken ankle so a bit out of it.
 Marmoteer 03 May 2014
In reply to Jon Didymus:

Bump, as I too am interested if anyone has any latest information.

I can't find any update on the Climb Bristol pages, though BMC RAD suggests stabilisation work should have started in Apr 14 due to last 6-8 weeks.

The original UKC news post on the rock fall is at:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67779
 Cheese Monkey 03 May 2014
In reply to Jon Didymus:

From ClimbBristol FB page
Unknown Area Access
Following a discussion at last night's BMCSW meeting, Bristol City Council's engineer has confirmed the position regarding the rockfall works in the Unknown Area, Avon Gorge. The works are scheduled to start on 24 April and last 6 - 8 weeks. So it looks like we should be permitted to climb here again by the end of June (and well in time for the Bristol Climbing Festival). Please abide by the current 'no climbing' restriction in this area meantime.
Simon Fletcher,
Avon access rep.
 Marmoteer 04 May 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Thank you
OP Didymus 06 May 2014
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Ditto thanks
 Nick Russell 08 May 2014
In reply to Jon Didymus:
> Anyone know about the state of Unknown Wall VS since rockfall in Jan 2013?

As others have pointed out, stabilisation work is now underway (I think), but the whole area is still banned.

I'm not entirely sure this answers your question about the state of the route though. As far as I'm aware, all rockfall was way further to the left, on some of the less popular routes beyond Desecrator. The route "Unknown Wall" was not affected at all, but the area was restricted because further rockfall (in the same place) could roll large blocks down the slope.

I suspect there may be a bit more vegetation on the first pitch due to reduced traffic last summer, but other than that I wouldn't expect any major effects.
OP Didymus 09 May 2014
In reply to Nick Russell:

OK cheers. Makes sense. My mate did The Blik recently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...