UKC

Yorkshire Three peaks advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 waterbaby 02 May 2014
Having wanted to do this for a few years I've decided to do it this year.

My question is- What footwear should I wear? I have scarpa boots that are comfy but heavy for 25 miles. I'm worried that approach shoes( gortex lined) are not going to be supportive enough. I'm thinking light summer boots but don't really want to spend more money. Could I get away with approach shoes?

Any advice based on experience?

I roped in a friend to do it with me but she is slightly worrying me because she keeps saying she wants to do it in trainers! I'm not sure she has quite grasped what we are doing or am I being overly concerned. I know what can go wrong when you are not kitted out right and are not properly prepared. I don't think she has experienced any serious hill walking:-/

Red Rover 02 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

I'd do it in trainers, but I do everyhing (including welsh 3000s) in trainers so might not work for you. But in general I think the need for heavy (tiring) ankle supporting boots in summer is a myth.
 papashango 02 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

approach shoes are fine. it's almost all on good hard surfaces! i ran in la sportiva fell shoes last jan and they were perfect.

if it's boggy between penny and whernside trainers could be a bit shite, if its dry they'd be fine. go with approach shoes if you're worried - big boots would be unnecessary I think..
altirando 02 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

I walked round in fell running shoes even in December - did have the advantage of frozen bogs though. Doing it tomorrow I would wear Inov-8 trail running shoes which have more substantial soles than ordinary trainers and more cushioning than fell running shoes.
 The New NickB 02 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

I think trail shoes are fine, in fact road trainers are fine if it is dry. I have run it twice in the last six months, obviously running I am wearing lightweight footwear, trainers the first time and trail shoes the second.
OP waterbaby 03 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

Fantastic, thank you all! I did say to my friend that most people run it so probably wear trail shoes. She will be happy, I know I am.
 The New NickB 03 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

> Fantastic, thank you all! I did say to my friend that most people run it so probably wear trail shoes. She will be happy, I know I am.

I would say most people don't run it, the sample on here is pretty unrepresentative. Many more people walk it than run it.
OP waterbaby 03 May 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

Planning on doing it in mid Sept, so hoping the weather won't be to bad.
aultguish 03 May 2014
In reply to waterbaby:

Walked it twice, ran it twice and only ever worn a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats. All 4 times it was boggy as hell and snowing on one of the runs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...