UKC

car trouble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 03 May 2014
Hi guys we set off today to the peak district for a days climbing,not far along a61 oil warning light comes on,ok so my mate will top it up and next services.Then engine starts making noisy sound and lastly smoke starts coming through air vents.So we stop,oils ok ,water is ok.What do you thinks wrong.Its been driving sound befour this.
 yeti 03 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

well if the oil and water are ok best guess would be oil pump

'cos I think the light is connected to a pressure switch

not that I'm a motor mechanic ...
 McGuinness 03 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

What colour was the smoke?

Is the car turbocharged?
OP blackcat 04 May 2014
In reply to McGuinness:Blue,1.8T engine.

crayefish 04 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

The smoke will be from the oil if it's blue. Can you see any visible oil leaks or stains that weren't there before? If the oil pressure dropped and it started making noise, it could be a bearing (no oil leak) or seal (oil leak) perhaps. As for the smoke... if it's entering from the engine bay then it must be coming out somewhere and either coming out as burnt oil (eg turbo seal) or oil landing on the exhuast manifold. Have a look...
OP blackcat 04 May 2014
In reply to crayefish:No visible signs of an oil leak,though the smoke was coming from the lower back of the engine block,forgot to mention as the car was running the clutch was vibrating as well when changing gear.

crayefish 04 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

Strange set of symptoms... so all happened at the same time?

Is the engine transverse (crank orientated side to side) or longitudinal (crank along the length of the car)? If it is the latter and you experienced any clutch slip, then it could be a galley plug leaking into the bell housing and the oil burning off the clutch. The clutch slip would likely be very noticable though.

If the engine is transverse then your exhuast manifolds will be at the back probably (can you see them?) and oil could be burning off these.
OP blackcat 04 May 2014
In reply to crayefish:Yep all at same time,av got a pal to look at it monday.We wasnt far from going over the tops on mortimer road,thank f@@k we didnt make it that far.

crayefish 04 May 2014
In reply to blackcat:

To be honest... if it's an oil issue and you or your mate isn't technically minded with the necessary tools/equipent, you'll need to get it fixed at a garage anyway. Ignoring or bodging an oil problem can f*ck your entire engine. I know this first hand!

Just bite the bullet and tow it to a garage.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...