UKC

MSR Whisperlight fuel?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon_D 03 May 2014
Hi there, just wondering what folks use for fuel in the International multifuel whisperlight stove? I am looking for 'white gas' and have heard that unleaded petrol is quite smokey? Any input would be very helpful
 Nigel Thomson 03 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

unleaded petrol is fine.
 BenTiffin 03 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:
Smokey when priming but fine once running.

Green Porridge 03 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

White gas is just coleman fuel, i.e. petrol without the additives for car engines. This is the best stuff for petrol stoves, but normal unleaded for a car works fine too. It only starts getting dirty with things like diesel (if your stove will take it at all)
 Billy the fish 03 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

You could look for naphtha, panel wipe or Aspen T4 chainsaw fuel. They’re expensive but still cheaper than the Coleman’s fuel and are reportedly contain less harmful components that unleaded petrol.
 kyaizawa 03 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

I stick to Coleman Fuel/white gas/naphtha (different names for the same thing), as I find that the stove needs less cleaning than when burning unleaded. Heard that kerosene is also highly recommended, but will need a change of jet.
OP simon_D 04 May 2014
In reply to kyaizawa:

thanks for all the input!
needvert 04 May 2014
In reply to kyaizawa:

At least with the xgk, kerosene has the fastest boil times and most output per litre.
Removed User 05 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

What's wrong with good old paraffin or white spirit at a push?
 ScraggyGoat 05 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

I ran an XGK for decades on unleaded or Parafinn. But now using Aspen 4T with a omnifuel. 4T is more expensive than unleaded, but it burns much cleaner and is alot cheaper than Coleman fuel.

Downsides of Aspen 4T are that not many places stock it, and you have to buy in 5 Litre cans. I generally buy 15 litres in one go as its a bit cheaper in bulk.

But keeps me going for a couple of years, and means I no longer stand at the petrol station trying to fill up a < 1 litre bottle after filling the car without spilling or getting caught by the pump attendant! Or try to fill from a car spare petrol can, which are crap at pouring.
 rallymania 05 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

not a direct answer to your question but i have a primus omnifuel... it gets primed with meths and burns parafin from B&Q currently 4 litres for 7 quid

as someone else mentions, change of jet required and try and keep it away from the tent as much as possible

gethin_allen 05 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

I've been burning unleaded in my whisperlight, priming is a bit smokey and sooty but you should really be lighting it somewhere out in the open and if you are bothered you can get priming paste which comes in a toothpaste like tube and you smear a bit in the bottom cup bit and it burns nice and cleanly.
 kylo-342 05 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

I have just bought 5 litres of "panel wipe" which (apparently) is almost the same as Coleman Fuel but considerably cheaper (from ebay)

It's used as a degreaser in the automotive industry.

Seems much less smoky than unleaded, although I only tested it for a short time. Anyone else tried it?

gethin_allen 05 May 2014
In reply to kylo-342:

i could only get cellulose based panel wipe when i looked for it.
 kylo-342 05 May 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

This is what I bought:

5-LITRES-Panel-Wipe-Degreaser-Fast

from Solvents online

(the UKC forum won't let me link to the ebay webpage, but if you type that into the search function you will find it)

I am not exactly sure what is in it.

It seems to work in the Whisperlite though -- although I've only tested it for about 10 minutes -- and appears to behave the same way as Coleman fuel.
 Ali.B 06 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

I stopped using petrol (leaded and unleaded) as it just smells too much, and can be scary if the vapour ignites when priming. I switched to C1 grade paraffin. I have recently discovered Paraffin extra which has an ultra low sulphur content, which means less smell and on my tests so far, no soot! and will be using this on an extended multi week trip this year in a primus omni fuel and an XGK.
And the good part, it is not expensive.
 ashley1_scott 06 May 2014
In reply to simon_D:

White gas what the americans call the colemans fuel. It is the same as panel wipe which is a product called Naphtha.
The best option would be do a search for either Panel Wipe or Aspen 4T, the Aspen 4T you might be able to pick up from a garden centre as it is used in hand held hedge trimmers and 'petrol' strimmers. Make sure if you go for the Aspen that you get the 4T and not 2T which is for 2 stroke, it will be much harder to start and won't burn as well as 4T.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...