UKC

Any idea what these birds eggs are? Llanberis Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 03 May 2014
Saw these on Shadow Wall today (scroll down to the bottom) http://www.jbmountainskills.co.uk/news/more-trad-climbing-in-north-wales

Crap shot I'm afraid, speckled and greenish.
 Chris Harris 03 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

They look like Blackbird eggs to me.

OP jezb1 03 May 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:

Someone else where said could be black birds, someone else said maybe ring ouzel
 Rob Parsons 03 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I think Ring Ouzels generally nest on or near the ground.
 LeeWood 03 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I reckon that location is a bit too 'mountain' for a blackbird, so my vote is for the ring ouzel - which does sometimes use trees.
 mikej 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

They could be Raven eggs.
OP jezb1 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Been googling and they all look pretty similar, hard to tell!

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Could be a Jackdaw though they often nest in cracks. A clue to their size would help,

Chris
 Dan Arkle 04 May 2014
Did you eat them? I find taste is the best way to tell bird eggs apart....
 Pekkie 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Carrion Crow, maybe? Though the crow family - including ravens and jackdaws - tend to nest earlier in the year. Nest looks a bit elaborate for a blackbird or ring ouzel. Any idea of size of nest/eggs?
 LeeWood 04 May 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

Nest diameter for a ring ousel would be <= 15cm
 Michael Hood 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1: velociraptor - take care out there

OP jezb1 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Not sure on the egg size, only noticed when I was a bit above.

I guess the nest was 30cm ish across.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

30cm = not a blackbird, ring ouzel or raven,

Chris
 LeeWood 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

*inside* diameter ?
 Adam Long 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:
Looks a lot like a Ring Ouzel's nest to me, and I've seen a few, though I suspect any of the Thrush family would be very similar. Definitely not a corvid! Egg size might be a better guide.

Shame this thread isn't more useful: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=585479
Post edited at 12:17
Jim C 04 May 2014
In reply to Chris Harris:
Nest has a different type lining material, I think Blackbirds don't do this , but apparently Ouzel's do according to images from nest construction sites.

Martin W 04 May 2014
In reply to Adam Long:

> Egg size might be a better guide.

As far as I can see the nest is in a holly tree. The eggs look to be about the size of a holly leaf, if that helps.
OP jezb1 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Yeah sorry, didn't really take in the size, but yes they are in a holly tree.

I guess creme egg type size?
 John Lyall 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

No mud lining to the nest, so not one of the Thrush family. Looks a bit like a Jackdaw egg, and they do like nesting in prickly bushes or on deep cracks.
 LeeWood 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Holly leaves are (quote) 6-8cm length. Therefore by scale observed the nest would be 18-24cm.

The nest is wool lined. According to Blandford's Nesting Birds, the Ouzel grass-lines, while a raven wool-lines. But the raven doesn't normally build in a tree.

???
 Albert Hinton 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I think it is either a Rook or Raven nest. Pictures of ring ouzel nests are much more grass lined than wool lined.

I used a copy of 'The Pocket Book of British Bird's Eggs and Nests' by C.A.Hall 1946

Amazing what you pick up when swatting for your ML!
 LeeWood 04 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Was the nest really suspended in the tree branches or was it merely framed by them buts resting on rock/other ?
OP jezb1 05 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:
Sat on top of the tree growing out of the crag, a metre or so away from the rock face.
Post edited at 08:26
 Pekkie 05 May 2014
In reply to Albert Hinton:

> 'I think it is either a Rook or Raven nest.'

I still think it's a Carrion Crow's nest as per my earlier post. Rooks nest in colonies in trees lower down. And a Raven's nest and eggs would be larger. It's fun this, isn't it!
 Martin W 05 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

> Holly leaves are (quote) 6-8cm length. Therefore by scale observed the nest would be 18-24cm.

> But the raven doesn't normally build in a tree.

And raven nests are much bigger than 24cm across (OP said 30cm, still too small). I've climbed through the remains of a raven's nest on Ben A'an and it was huuuuge! They're big birds, not just "a bit larger than crow": BTO says they're 50% longer and weigh at least twice as much as a crow.
Slugain Howff 05 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:
Jackdaw or Carrion Crow possibly but def def not Ouzel, Blackbird or Raven.

S
Post edited at 15:29
 Darron 05 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

I have some close up and hands on experience with Ravens nests and that isn't one.
OP jezb1 05 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Cheers for the input guys.

Winds picked up here tonight so hopefully the nest is well attached to the tree!
Oceanwall 05 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Guesswork given the lack of dimensions etc. but Google blackbird eggs and compare cause that's what they look like to me.
Slugain Howff 06 May 2014
In reply to Oceanwall:

> Guesswork given the lack of dimensions etc. but Google blackbird eggs and compare cause that's what they look like to me.

That is not how a blackbird constructs a nest
 LeeWood 06 May 2014
In reply to Darron:

so have you ever seen a raven nest in a tree?

I think my vote has come round to the crow; it's a bit upland for this bird but range can overlap with raven
cb294 06 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Yes, ravens can nest in trees as well as rocks.

Estimating nest size at roughly 25cm (based on leaves) makes crow liklely, as jackdaws are usually colonial nesters.

CB
 Adam Long 06 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

> I guess creme egg type size?

I'd guess Crow or Jackdaw in that case. Not seen a Jackdaw nest in the open like that myself before, always in cracks or hollow trees, but the Crow nests I've seen have been a tad bigger and messier. As others have said, a Raven's nest is much bigger.

Michael Hood 06 May 2014
In reply to all: Sounds like too big for thrush, too small for raven, other crow just right. Think I'll guess Jackdaw rather than CC.

However, will somebody please just go and find out by watching - or will that spoil the fun?

butteredfrog 06 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

Magpie?
 Adam Long 06 May 2014
In reply to butteredfrog:

Magpie nests have a roof over the top.
OP jezb1 06 May 2014
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Sounds like too big for thrush, too small for raven, other crow just right. Think I'll guess Jackdaw rather than CC.

> However, will somebody please just go and find out by watching - or will that spoil the fun?

Off to Croatia climbing tomorrow and too much admin to do this afternoon else I'd nip up and get a proper shot!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...