UKC

Want to buy a mountain?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
with a lordship thrown in?

> A Lake District mountain is being put up for sale as its owner looks to pay a £9m inheritance tax bill. Blencathra, which stands 2,850ft (868m) high, is being put on the market by Lord Lonsdale with an asking price of £1.75m. The sale also includes the ancient feudal title of Lordship of the Manor of Threlkeld.

> The mountain was described by writer Alfred Wainwright as "one of the grandest objects in Lakeland". Lord Lonsdale said: "We don't want to have to make inroads into the core of the estate and we don't want to have to evict tenant farmers and other tenants from their houses so that we can sell them. "We have a 10-year period in which to pay [the tax bill]. It's getting very close to that now. We have to do something about it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-27266993
In reply to stroppygob:
Thanks for the heads up ! I think I might make an offer !
 Ouncepounce 04 May 2014
In reply to I like climbing:
I find the idea of owning a mountain a wee bit egotistical. Having said that I found a lovely pebble when I was up there a year or two ago and still have it in my study. Do you think I should fess-up and tell Lord Lonsdale his mountain is not complete. Perhaps he could get a tax rebate
Post edited at 01:38
 pass and peak 04 May 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

I wonder what the hill subsidy is on that lot? might be able to get back the £1.75 in 25 years!
 Bob 04 May 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Don't worry the National Trust will soon start an appeal to raise the money "to save it for the nation". The subsequent landscape saving surgery will involve the creation of two new car parks with specially designed membership joining areas along with parking fees that no-one has the correct change for.
 mypyrex 04 May 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Well at least it can't be taken out of the country
 sbc_10 04 May 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Well at least it can't be taken out of the country.

Unless the Chinese find copper or iron inside it.
Jim C 04 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

> Don't worry the National Trust will soon start an appeal to raise the money "to save it for the nation". The subsequent landscape saving surgery will involve the creation of two new car parks with specially designed membership joining areas along with parking fees that no-one has the correct change for.

Something will turn up as with the Cullins:-

"In 2000 the Cuillin were put on sale for £10 million by the Laird in a scheme of land in exchange for repairs to Dunvegan castle.[4] Following a dispute over ownership, a deal was cut for the property to be gifted in return for repairs to the clan castle.[4]"
MacFarlane 06 May 2014
Asking £1.75m for a mountain, that's a bit steep......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...