UKC

Knee injury management

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I've recently done something to my knee, not sure quite what yet but scan results will hopefully come back in the coming week. The best diagnosis I've had so far is a minor outer meniscal tear provided by the physio.

I've been on crutches for a couple of weeks but am at the point now where I can walk around slowly. I can't straighten my let all the way yet though. Walking does make my knee feel tight and I guess it is causing aggravation and swelling.

If I don't walk around my hamstrings and quads get very tight and need stretching out a lot. Stretching isn't so bad for the swelling and tightness but if I try and stretch my leg so it straightens this also causes inflammation.

So, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Carry on walking or get back on the crutches.

Thanks,

David
 koalapie 05 May 2014
In reply to David Kirsfelds:

Didn't you ask your physio?
If it's meniscal I would tend to rest it so probably using the crutches until walking doesn't aggravate it, obviously you can also use the crutches to do partial weight bearing as directed by your physio/sports docttor. You usually get an idea from the amount of limp you have, but you also have to factor in any pain relief you are taking. Once the straightening is recovered then the walking will be easier.
The meniscus can be quite sensitive for a few weeks, with a minimum of force/movement aggravating it for a day or two. In non-minor cases this can be for 4-6 weeks, with the thing taking 8-12 weeks to fully heal, if not longer. The general advice is to avoid surgery if you can and if you can't repair it rather than chop it if viable, but see what your scans, physio and doctor say. Hope that helps.
In reply to koalapie:

Thanks for the reply. I'll stay on the crutches for a while then. I paid for a couple of physio sessions when it first happened but can't really afford to keep going until the doctor refers me on the NHS...hopefully!

David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...