UKC

Info for climbing in Paklenica National Park (Croatia) please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mluk 04 May 2014
Hi,

Would you recommend any campsites for climbing in Paklenica National Park? It will be for three weeks from the second week of June. I found there are around 3 buses from Zadar to Starigrad (12, 12:45 and 4pm). Is that correct?

From the map of the national park it looks the crag are a few km away from each other. Should we hire bikes or are they easy to walk to? Do we still have to buy climbing pass in the National Park and if so, how much?

Basically any information highly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

full stottie 04 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

Try this site:
http://www.paklenica.hr/Paklenica_en/index_en.html

It gives some info on camping and on Climbing Permit prices, which I think are around 150 kuna (£15?) for a 5 day pass, but when I was there a few years ago, Sundays were free, and didn't count against your 5 day pass.

Most of the crags are within walking distance of the park entrance - times in the guidebook. (Also a map of crags on the above website). My recollection is that although there is a path all the way through the gorge, it gets steeper with some steps, so don't know what its like to cycle once you are through the Lower Gorge. However, it was at most a 30 min walk to reach Anika Kuk where there are some of the best-known long routes.

Can't help on the buses I'm afraid.

Its a great place to climb.

Dave

madam 05 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

Hi, it was 120 kuna for 5 days this year in April. Bikes will not be suitable if you want to get a little bit deeper in the valley (eg. to Anica Kuk) on the other hand still a lot of sectors might be reachable by bike. Generally I would rather walk than cycle.

If you do not "have to" be in a camp there is plenty of apartment possibilities (our trip: 10E/day/person -> supposed to be around 12E in a season)

Have fun there

Adam
 tlm 05 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

Bikes would be useful for getting to and from the park, but once in the park, you could lock them in the car park and walk from there onwards. Most crags are easy to walk to.
There is loads and loads of accommodation.
Take a bit of trad gear if you want to do any of the multipitch stuff - there are climbs at all levels!
 jezb1 05 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

I'm heading out there on weds but not got a guide book yet, anyone know if you can get one there?
 Duncan Bourne 05 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

and the grading on some of the popular sports climbs in the main area can be a bit erratic. I romped up some of the 5as & bs but got spat off some 4cs. The grades on the longer routes seemed more consistent.

The mountain routes were excellent value but wear a helmet as we had one instance of stone fall on the bit near the car park.

There is a shop and toilets in the main climbing area and a weeks pass is good value for the Park.

For a rest day why not walk over to the smaller gorge and walk/scramble up this and over to the big gorge. Scrambling over big river boulders, then through forest, open meadow with great views (where we spotted bear tracks) and then down to the climbing are and refreshment. waymarks all the way.

There is also a great Taverna near the entrance to the park for apres climbing food/drinks

Starigrad is possibly the most relaxed place I have been to (don't know what it would be like mid season)
 Duncan Bourne 05 May 2014
In reply to jezb1:

They do sell guide books at the shop at the climbing area but they had sold out of the Paklenica guide while we were there and only had the guide for the rest of Croatia.
Campsites by the way
Auto camp NP Paklenica 023 369-202, 369-155
Auto camp Marko 023 369-283
Auto camp Vesna 023 369-189
Mluk 05 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

Thanks for all the replies and much appreciated. I just have the below questions:

1) Is the 5 days climbing pass a consecutive days pass?
2) Is there a park entrance fee on top as one of the replies mentioned a weekly pass?
3) How far is Starigrad to the park entrance (walkable)?

Again thanks so much and any related info is much appreciated

madam 06 May 2014
In reply to Mluk:

Hi again

1) It is for 5 days which do not have to be consecutive (once you wanna go in, you show your ticket at the "reception" and they stamp it---number of stamps = number of days)
2) Car park is included in the entry fee
3) 5 - 35 minutes...depends where exactly you are located. Check googlemaps (Velka Paklenica = climbing = NW from Mala Paklenica)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nacionalni+park+Paklenica,+Chorvatsko&hl...

adam
Mluk 07 May 2014
Thanks very much Adam!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...