UKC

Corsica advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SteveoS 05 May 2014
I'm attempting a trip to Corsica on a budget and making it as faff free as possible. The plan is to do a little walking and some via feratta but also some time in the sea and exploring some old towns/beauty spots.

The question is do I go via a tour company and get bused to a hotel and rely on public transport or do I get the ferry into Ajaccio and hire a car?

Trying to find a location where the missus can go for a swim and visit the market one day and then I can take her into the mountains the next.

Any recommendations? We could camp but I'd rather not spend half of my time trying to find somewhere to sleep.
 Kean 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Not what you want to hear, but watch out for thieves. We went cycling there and my mate's bike was stolen from under our noses, locked up round the back of our hotel way up in the hills. Virtually every parking place which leads to a beach has tell-tale shattered glass from smashed car windows, virtually everybody I know who's been there has had something stolen. Even one of the locals told us it was endemic and it made him feel ashamed. Just to emphasise how bad it was, when we took the ferry to get there from Italy, we noticed there was a large sign with details of how to get in touch with the Italian embassy if your passport/belongings were stolen while you were on holiday there.
 mbh 05 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Not denying your experience, but we went there as a family in 2011 to do the northern half of the GR20 and had no trouble at all. We arrived by ferry from Nice at Bastia and left from Calvi. We bussed/trained ourselves around when we needed to.
 Tom Valentine 05 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Had four trips there so far and have never been troubled by thieves yet (unless you count the robdogs who set the prices )
OP SteveoS 05 May 2014
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Any advice that isn't keeping an eye on your stuff?
 Sean Kelly 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Fly to Calvi and hire a car. Lovely place to stay and the mountains are nearby. Property is cheaper inland or camp and stay in huts which are plentiful on the Gr20. Avoid August!
 Tom Valentine 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Pietra and Serena are both good beers; Palombaggia is supposed to be the best beach in Corsica and it's got bouldering; if you hire a car make use of the filling station's hoover facility before you return the vehicle.
 JohnV 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Spent a few days there last week, lovely time. Climbed at a small bolted granite venue overlooking the sea and only a short walk from L'Ile Rousse- the town has the market and beach you're after too. About an hour from here is Corti an the Restonica valley, plus there is some wild coastline and old ports a similar drive away.

We had a car which was great- meant we could see some out of the way sights- beaches, old stuff, churches etc. As you've predicted we did spend a fair bit of time trying to find somewhere to camp and ended up in a 50 euro hotel one night.

Had the feeling that the island will soon get both busy and hot so booking ahead for campsites might be prudent. We had nothing stolen...
In reply to SteveoS:

Loads of bolted stuff everywhere, and I mean everywhere, so much that you don't need a guidebook.

A car is pretty much essential.

Never had anything stolen.
 Marmoteer 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:
Hi,

I have enjoyed several trips to Corsica. The great thing is that it isn't that big; so staying near a town on the coast (with beach, market or historical interest) is not a particularly long drive to the mountains. Apparently you could go skiing in the mountains and then swimming in the Med on the same day (not tried it though!).

When I went with the wife, we drove from the UK and got the ferry over from Nice to Bastia. We didn't book ahead for campsites and only spent an hour or 2 (maximum) looking for a site every few days. Though we did treat ourselves to a hotel on the last night before catching the ferry back. There are probably more up to date resources but I used "Corsica Mountains" by Robin G Collomb for the mountain walks with the wife.

I had no issue on another trip using public transport to get from the GR20 midpoint back to Calvi (where we flew in/out from).

Unfortunately whilst we were on a trip, we did have a break in to the tent...a small, but noisy, rodent was after our breakfast
Post edited at 18:57
Rigid Raider 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:
+ 1 for Calvi; the airport is small, the car hire close, the village 10 minutes drive, there are plenty of hotels (recommend the Regina, just on the edge of town; it has a huge secure underground car park) and there's plenty of swimming, either off the beach or nicer, off the rocks around the citadel.

A car is useful but the roads are so twisty that it takes ages to get anywhere and anybody who gets carsick will suffer.

There are some smashing restaurants in town, 10 minutes walk from Regina. La Piazetta, Chez Doume and Santa Maria. The latter is definitely run by the Corsican mafia.
Post edited at 19:12
 mbh 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

The GR20 huts are cheap to stay at, but you need to book to be sure of a place - there's a web site for this, same one for all of them (we went in late July and some were rammed, some weren't). I thought they were all great, with a convivial atmosphere, although the food is very expensive. They have kitchens though, so you can cook if you want.

There is also camping at most (maybe all??) of the refuges) and quite a few people doing it. They are the only places in the national park where you are allowed to camp. They seem to have tents that you can hire - those pop up ones, but once you have opted for camping, they won't let you use the indoor kitchens.

There are several places where you can get up to the refuges, without doing much if any of the GR20. The scenery is fantastic. I liked Petra Piana, which you can get to from the railway stop Tattone, where there is a camp- site and ace cafe making great smelling stew, via a bergerie that makes superb bread and sausage. Come back the same way or via the refuge Onda, to Vizzavona, a couple of stops further along the railway line. This is the railway that goes from Bastia to Ajaccio, diagonally across the whole island, top right to half way down the left-hand side.

From Corte in the centre you can take a bus (a minibus with trailer, actually) via a scenic route to the Col di Verghio, and from there it is three hours or so to the refuge Ciuttulu di i Mori, where the demeanour of the hosts very closely resembles that of the Corsicans as depicted in Asterix in Corsica,and the coffee is the best of the GR20. From the refuge, scramble up Paglia Orba if you feel like it. I did it before breakfast.

I thought Calvi a bit tacky, but after the the GR20, it was very welcome, and as Sean says, you are close to mountains, and the bastille bit of it was very atmospheric.
OP SteveoS 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Much appreciated everyone! Food for thought indeed.

It seems that a cheap hotel for a few nights then a hire car and camping should give the best of both worlds.

Having names of places being recommended is a great help.
 mbh 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

The river up from Vizzavone and then down near to Tattone when we bailed at Petra Piana had loads of pools where many people were swimming. It looked very inviting.
 Sean Kelly 05 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Sorry, but I forgot the following links which are very informative
http://trailblazer-guides.com/book/corsica-trekking/practical-information-f...
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&rurl=translate....
and http://corsica.forhikers.com/gr20
Most of this is about the GR20 but there's lots of background information about treking and climbing on Corsica. As someone else said, Piana is a lovely location for both chilling and bolted climbing. I'm not so sure about VF on Corsica though, but it might have changed in recent years. The only problem I have encountered is the midday thunderstorms very prevalent in the summer months on the higher peaks. There is a German guidebook available if you can't find Collomb's book which has been out of print for more than 25 years! Corsica is unusual for the Med in that it is all Granite and not the more familiar Limestone.
A great place to visit. Enjoy!
 daWalt 06 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Camping International just on the outskirts of Calvi is nice, walkable into town, right near big supermarket.
public transport is ok town to town, not sure about some of the smaller vallys into the hills tho. we only escaped the GR20 from up the road from Asco because we got a lift from a couple from Edinburgh (big thanks to them)
if youre going into the hills for a couple of days the GR20 refuges get very busy; often better to stay (or camp) at the bergeries on route. worth going along North sec of the GR20, tiz v nice,
sugest going S to N, against traffic.....(mobed with swarms of germans)
Corte is nice, several campsites in and around town, gear shop there sells gas, but some refuges have gas cooking facilities for campers.
and yea, early afternoon thunderstorms happen a lot in the hills.................
 DNS 06 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

I've been to Corsica seven or eight times. I keep returning to the Balagne, the North West of the island around l'isle russe.

I'd say a car is essential.

The mountains are easily accessible. The food is great, the scenery amazing - but the prices higher than you could imagine. I'm reasonably well funded, but I have to wait a year or two between trips so that the positive memories outweigh my fading recollection of the cost.

I have never had any issue with theft, but times change I suppose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...