UKC

It's skiing, Jim, but not as we know it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kean 05 May 2014
Extreme descent in Brenta Dolomites...hold onto your hats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82u5Zg4ed6k&feature=youtu.be
 DaveHK 05 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Not saying it isn't steep but some of those helmet cams really distort angles.
 Duncan Bourne 05 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Phew!
 Scomuir 05 May 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I fine that the wide angled lens on mine tends to make stuff seem less steep than it actually is.
 peebles boy 05 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Personally, and from an admittedly mediocre punter point of view, it didn't look like there was much skiing up until the seven minute mark, and if I'm honest, I kept thinking surely it would be quicker, easier, more enjoyable and safer without skis!

Although the ski along the ridge at the start looked quite exciting...
 popebenedictus 05 May 2014
In reply to kean:

It's definitely steep and the ridge looked awesome?

But is it really skiing if you need an axe to brake the side slipping?
 Gael Force 06 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Superb skiing...
Rigid Raider 06 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Not what I would call "hotshot" skiing. The skier is a competent defensive skier and you can sense his nervousness but he doesn't ski with any style or panache.
 Dave Searle 06 May 2014
In reply to kean:

Impressive place to ski but with more kick turns and side slipping than skiing I'm struggling to say anything more positive about the video. I'm sure the guy had fun though!
 Mr-Cowdrey 06 May 2014
In reply to kean:

That looked pretty steep, but I too thought that there wasn't much proper skiing. But in all fairness, jump turns, sude slupping and not falling are all survival skills on terrain like that. He did a good job getting down in one piece. And how many of us would be able to ski that in a better style?

That ridge though...wow!
Kate Armstrong 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

I've never skied anything that serious, so maybe I'm wrong: but isn't it really not advisable to do kick turns on steep slopes? That's what I've always been told...

Amazing route, though
 arctickev 02 Jun 2014
In reply to kean:

looks pretty steep and Kudos to the skier but not a flowing descent is the style of Glen Plake or Remy Lecluse (RIP). Watching a Remy clip on youtube is something I do every few months. Beautiful skiing. It does look like a no falls allowed run.

On a separate note, I like this clip as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=ygxufRprWpY&

Kev

tri-nitro-tuolumne 02 Jun 2014
In reply to kean:
On a pair of Trabs!!

I don't care how hard it would be to carry them, I'd take a heavyweight downhill ski with me if I was doing that descent.
Post edited at 19:37
 tim000 02 Jun 2014
In reply to kean:

check this out 1min 38 in . wow

youtube.com/watch?v=fSDDBiPE86k&
 Womble 02 Jun 2014
In reply to tri-nitro-toulumne:

Why would you carry them? Surely they would be extra long, inflexible and inappropriate for that style?

On subject of the skier he looks slightly out of his depth and in damage limitation mode. Kudos for the balls to do it though!
 Ben Briggs 03 Jun 2014
In reply to kean:

Nice line, poor style. Either the snow is much worse than it looks or the skier is not very confident on that type of terrane.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...