UKC

Bear Gryll's The Island

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 05 May 2014
What did people think?

Personally thought it was better than I expected. Did need to lose the inter cut scenes of Grylls chatting away though
In reply to goose299:

Not seen it; probably never will. Not a dig at Mr Grylls, but these 'will they survive, despite having full back-up and emergency service just out of camera shot?' conceits do nothing for me.

Essentially, you seem to be saying that Mr Grylls' flagship programme would have been better with a lot less Mr Grylls in it

Should be a fairly predictable thread, but no less entertaining than that.
 aln 05 May 2014
In reply to maisie:

> Not seen it

> Should be a fairly predictable thread

You got it off to a good start.

In reply to aln:

> You got it off to a good start.

And that was a strong response, selectively editing my post to make it look like I'm anti-Grylls

Couldn't give two hoots about the self-promoting chancer, but the whole series seems to be based on the lie that a television company might let a bunch of blokes die on TV. What do you suppose their bottom line is for insurance alone?
 aln 05 May 2014
In reply to maisie:

> And that was a strong response, selectively editing my post to make it look like I'm anti-Grylls

Thanks.
OP goose299 05 May 2014
In reply to maisie:

> but these 'will they survive, despite having full back-up and emergency service just out of camera shot?' conceits do nothing for me.

To be fair, this is billed as being filmed by the fella's themselves but with Gryll's previous history, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a hotel and a kfc round the corner
 aln 05 May 2014
In reply to maisie:

> And that was a strong response, selectively editing my post to make it look like I'm anti-Grylls

the whole series seems to be based on the lie that a television company might let a bunch of blokes die on TV.

As if.

What do you suppose their bottom line is for insurance alone?

No idea.
In reply to aln:

Are you one of those people who enters competitions with the answer 'I don't know'?

And then gets upset about not winning?

altirando 06 May 2014
In reply to goose299:

Saw part of his walk in the Dolomites with Stephen Fry and that was absurd, deliberately trying to create potentially hazardous situations and unnecessary scenarios.
 Flinticus 07 May 2014
In reply to altirando:

Absurd? I'd say hilarious.
 twm.bwen 05 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

I actually thought it was great. If you haters could get over what ever it is that makes you so negative about bear, you might see that this was actually quite informative about the human spirit.
 deepsoup 05 Jun 2014
In reply to twm.bwen:
> .. what ever it is that makes you so negative about bear

You know this is a forum for climbers right?

youtube.com/watch?v=uKlYTn_m2cY&

At no point in "Cliffhanger", not even in "Vertical Limit" ffs, does a character make a show of chalking up their cams before they set off to 'solo' a climb.
 Blue Straggler 05 Jun 2014
In reply to deepsoup:

> You know this is a forum for climbers right?

> At no point in "Cliffhanger", not even in "Vertical Limit" ffs, does a character make a show of chalking up their cams before they set off to 'solo' a climb.

Just in case you didn't realise - he's depicting - however unrealistically - a lead solo.
(see also: Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only, and - oh! - Stefan Glowacz in Scream of Stone Glowacz does it for real apart from his final fall. On Cerro Torre)
 deepsoup 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> Just in case you didn't realise - he's depicting - however unrealistically - a lead solo.

No he's not. No more than Stallone and/or Gullich are in Cliffhanger whilst climbing ropeless with a huge rack of trad gear and a magic bolt gun.

It's just a mish-mash of images intended to impress the ignorant, but if it does depict any one style of climbing it's a lead (not solo).

The audience are not expected to be well informed enough to realise that one does not climb alone with a partner. Which is also why it wasn't necessary to try harder than that to hide the toprope, nor to make any of the moves look like, y'know, actual climbing!

If Bear was half the man he claims he is, the film would have turned out like this: youtube.com/watch?v=OX7p3jfr0mA&
M0nkey 06 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

The production crew have been quite open about how the island was staged. The fact they lined a water hole to make sure there was actually water on the island doesn't detract in any way from the show. Likewise the fact they left a few caiman on the island makes no odds. Ultimately it was up to the men to find and make safe their water, and catch/find their food.

I thought it was a great show. The only thing I thought would have been nice would have been to see Bear spend a week or two there afterwards to see what he does differently.

People need to let go of the Bear Grylls hotel fiasco.
 The New NickB 06 Jun 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

I thought it was quite interesting. The fact that Grylls himself wasn't in it much improved it significantly.
OP goose299 06 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

So they're doing a second series and asking for people to apply.
Any UKCers fancy it?
 DancingOnRock 06 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

I thought it was a good series.

Bear is quite an interesting character who knows how to capture an audience. Ex-special forces and knows how all these scenarios are mentally challenging.

Did the men know the water hole was lined? As far as they were concerned it still took them 3 days to start a fire. That's after they were trained how to do it.

The New NickB 06 Jun 2014
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Bear is quite an interesting character who knows how to capture an audience. Ex-special forces and knows how all these scenarios are mentally challenging.

Must resist!!!!
chad halfwit 07 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

only briefly surfed through one episode of the Bear Grylls series so i can't really comment, but the 2nd series of naked and afraid kicked off thurs on discovery, it does seem to go a bit further in the realism stakes, one of the producers got himself bitten by a fleur de lance snake last year. they were in the rain forest in Peru this time, won't spoil it but there was a bit of a turnover in contestants. i don't think i would have lasted the length of the programme myself....
Andy Gamisou 07 Jun 2014
In reply to chad halfwit:

Agreed, and one of the participants contracted dengue fever which seems to be a particularly unpleasant and long lasting illness. The 'naked' aspect at first glance seems like a bit of gratuitous titulation, but really adds a significant extra dimension into the mix in terms of keeping warm, avoiding sunburn, keeping biting insects at bay, etc.
 arctickev 09 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

marooned with Ed Stafford is an excellent and related show.

I like his reply on twitter when someone said they should put Ed and Bear on an island and see you "won" - Ed replied they should put us both on an island and see how we work together!

I liked the island, ok not perfect and there was a low chance of death but i don't have a problem with that. I would love to do something like that (especially with my 2 sons when they are a bit older).

Kev
 Ffion Blethyn 09 Jun 2014
In reply to goose299:

Here's your chance! Let us know all about it when you get back :+)

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-island-with-bear-grylls/articles/all...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...