UKC

Clenched fist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ColinVern 06 May 2014
Hi all!
I have noticed that when I run I occasionally clench my right fist. It's only ever the right one and it's not tight, so I don't normally realise I'm doing it until I notice my right hand is getting sweater than the left!
Has anyone else had this experience and may know what causes it, be it a physical or psychological thing? It's only ever the right hand and I have occasional shoulder pain when running too if this makes a difference, though in both shoulders this time.

Cheers, Colin
 wbo 06 May 2014
In reply to ColinVern: Could be a general tightness and stress response. I find it quite a useful exercise when running to concentrate on relaxing the hands (and the rest of the body follows.....)

balmybaldwin 06 May 2014
In reply to ColinVern:
You see similar in pro runners - Paula Radcliffe used to run with her head and neck at an odd angle... I guess it's just a symptom of concentrating on your legs/rythm that the body does slightly odd things... A bit like facial expressions on weight lifters - pointless and wastefull tensing of muscles that is almost involuntary- a bit like people who stick their tongue out when they are concentrating
Post edited at 15:29
 krikoman 06 May 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

No
OP ColinVern 06 May 2014
In reply to wbo:
I'll try relaxing them more often, see what happens. It never seemed to effect the run but maybe everything else will loosen up in response like you mentioned.
 climberchristy 06 May 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

I make a point of shaking out both hands /arms regularly over long runs - at least once every mile. It's easy to do on downhills when it also seems to help legs relax instead of them 'fighting' the downhill. As someone else has already said...if you relax the hands the rest of you seems to follow.

Banned User 77 06 May 2014
In reply to ColinVern:

I was told many years ago to run like you are holding a crisp between your finger and thumb.. so little pressure..

Seems to make sense

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...