UKC

building an extension

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 colina 06 May 2014

looking to build a simple small one story extension at the back of my house which will sit between 2 walls .its not going to be intruisive to anyone and tbh no one would know it was there.ive got it planned out in my head as there is nothing difficult in the design.
do I need to get the building inspector involved and would they require to see extensive expensive drawn plans. or could I just build it and be damned ,will basically need to build one wall and a roof.

please note I am not a cowboy builder and will get the trades in to do the technical stuff. I will be the donkey!
Post edited at 19:43
 victorclimber 06 May 2014
In reply to colina:

just do a line drawing of the Extension ,take it into Building Control and they will tell you if it needs Planning ,if it dosnt you can do it on A Building Notice ..
 pec 06 May 2014
In reply to colina:

Planning permission and Building Regs approval are 2 different things. It sounds like you probably don't need planning permission but this will give you a better idea
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

If you're still not certain you can ring and ask them or better still, some authorities have a drop in service where you can discuss it. At worst you may have to submit some plans (but you can draw them yourself, they don't have to be professionally drawn) and fill in a form. If you had to submit a fee with your application it should be fully refunded if its decided you don't need planning permission.

You will almost certainly need building regs approval, if you don't it will cause hassle if/when you try to sell your house and you have to try and get retrospective approval as well as all the other hassles selling a house or potentially lose the sale if the buyer has doubts.
Again, some authorities have a drop in sessions where you can discuss this but unless you've at least got some idea of what you're talking about there's not much point, especially if you'll be employing a builder.

Any decent builder should be able to liase with building regs on your behalf but insist they do go through building control and that final payment is dependant upon receiving the building regs certificate. Doing this should help to weed out cowboys as well.
 pec 06 May 2014
In reply to colina:
By the way, most building inspectors are quite helpful and will offer useful advice on the best/cheapest/easisest way to build what you're after. They're not out to try and trip you up (unless you live in Stockport so I'm told!)
Also, I've just noticed you live in Chester which means you're under Cheshire West and Chester, the same as me, and they do have free drop in services for Planning and Building control
Post edited at 21:30
 Banned User 77 06 May 2014
In reply to colina:

Also do you own both walls?

We had a right pain in the arse with a neighbour over one, eventually had regs passed but the builder built it 10-20mm to close so we had to start again..

But if its joining their wall then you need to be careful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...