UKC

Fixing my MSR whisperlite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harri777 06 May 2014
I have a very old MSR whisperlite (older than me anyway) which worked fine until fairly recently. But now I'm having problems with it- when the valve is opened for priming, no fuel flows through. I have tried taking it all to pieces and cleaning several times without success.

Does anyone have any ideas? And if not, is there anywhere I could take it/send it to get it serviced?
Cheers!
In reply to Harri777:

There's some good Vids on YouTube on servicing might be a good idea to
Pick up a cheap service kit and do everything on the vids its pretty straight
Forward I've had a few old ones in a bad way and managed to get them stripped cleaned and now there in good shape
OP Harri777 06 May 2014
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

Thanks. I've got a service kit and have followed the instructions. I've cleaned it myself lots of times before and it's always worked like you say. So I don't know what's different this time!
In reply to Harri777:

There's vids for stripping the fuel line and the pump
Every part is swapped out, is the bottle pressurising ?
The older ones have a leather pump cup that often perishes
Its easy to spot the pump would barely work if at all
Think there's usually a newer rubber one in most kits
 TobyA 06 May 2014
In reply to Harri777:

First Ascent used to service them - they may still be MSR's UK distributors. You need to try and work out where the blockage is. Put water in the fuel bottle. Pump the bottle but don't attach the stove - turn it on and does water come out of pump/valve unit? If yes, the problem is not there. Next take the stove apart and take the jet out of the tube/generator tube. Attach that to the pump and bottle, turn it on again - is water coming out of there? If yes, then it must be your jet that is blocked etc.

They are simple devices so you should be able to work out where the blockage is. I once had to send mine off for the fuel tube to be cleaned in an ultrasonic tank when I got too much build up inside it from using crappy fuel in India, but most things you can do yourself.
OP Harri777 06 May 2014
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers- you're right, a methodical approach would be best! I'll try that tomorrow evening.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...