UKC

Crag gardening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NaCl 06 May 2014
Just after some information or opinions if there is no hard and fast rules on the subject.

As a regular climber at what can be regarded as a contender for the most polished place on Earth, Chudleigh Rock, I'm intrigued by The South Devon and Dartmoor guides description of some routes. According to that guide there's a not insubstantial number that have been allowed to become overgrown through lack of traffic.

I'm not suggesting Agent Orange or anything but where does a climber stand with regards getting down to it to reclaim old routes with a pair of secateurs (sp?)?

Any information will be appreciated!
 pec 06 May 2014
In reply to NaCl:

If its not an SSSI then you should be ok to garden away as long as the land owner doesn't object which is unlikley.
 Kafoozalem 06 May 2014
In reply to NaCl:

There would be no climbing at all at Chudleigh if it weren't for gardening.The crag was ivy covered until the 60's. Permission for a very extensive crag clean up was granted in about 2010 I think, which involved the felling of some very large trees. This very successfully opened up the Western Tower which is now quick drying and popular. Now it is an SSSI and from all the online information available this appears to be for the bats which live in the caves and fly through the protective cages. There are also some rare lichens which are protected.

Given that the average climber is going to tear out the odd valerian and strip a bit of ivy I don't think a little secateurs action is inappropriate. In fact it is highly desireable to keep ivy and bracken under control.

Over the years good routes have been lost and restored at Chudleigh. In the last year the Pigs might Fly are and Ground Control areas have been restored. Go climb them and keep them clean.
 The Pylon King 06 May 2014
In reply to NaCl:

If you look at Victorian pics of crags there's no ivy in sight.
 SteveoS 07 May 2014
In reply to NaCl:
I was waiting on some lichen to give it more friction! Oh Chudliegh.

A cut back in ivy actively encourages growth of rarer species, Discuss.

Edit: Would you mind giving the top of grim reaper a sweep? Many thanks.
Post edited at 00:44
OP NaCl 07 May 2014
In reply to SteveoS:

Cheers for the replies chaps. If everyone seems to think it's ok then I may have a bit of a clean up of one or two routes and see how it goes with regards threads by "yours outraged, Chudleigh" on here.

I was up Grim Reaper the other week and it wasn't too bad (undergrowth) that is, not the horrific no-hands top out!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...