UKC

Finding Jo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciderslider 07 May 2014
Had real trouble finding this route on Sun - abbed in down Ocean Boulevard than walked along past bottomless buttress - went quite a bit further on (but not far enough me thinks).
The cave at the start - is it quite a big one or just an indentation ? Also the big pointed block ????
Anyone got any ideas ????
 scott titt 07 May 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Sounds like you didn't go far enough East. The pointed boulder is at Moonraker. The cave at Jo is deep and is hidden by low roofs, just to the right is the big roof at the start of Thor.
The clean groove at the top of Jo is visible from the ground and unusual feature in the Ruckle.
 The Ivanator 07 May 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

It's a bit of a hike, unmistakable when you get there, the cave is definitely more than an indentation.
You must be feeling strong if you are off hunting Jo!
In reply to Ciderslider:

The cave's quite a large one. I don't remember a big pointed block. Like Scott says, it's really obvious. Maybe you didn't go far enough, as you say.

jcm
 Andy Chubb 07 May 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

I sympathise as I had the same trouble locating Jo last year. 2 problems - the cave isn't perhaps what you'd expect from a cave, and at certain tide conditions you can't back far enough from the cliff to see the upper groove. I ended up going all the way back to Ocean Boulevard and counting the routes off one by one. Having done that I can tell you that the 'cave' is like an overhung narrow notch facing diagonally out towards the east, before a large undercut area where 'Relax and Swing' is. The start is a bit of a pig, getting up the notch and out on to the face. Good luck
OP Ciderslider 07 May 2014
In reply to scott titt:

Cheers Scott, I am pretty sure we didn't go quite far enough east.
In reply to The Ivanator:

Cheers mate, my first couple of forays to Swanage have gone well - so time to push on a bit - all the indoor bouldering has made me a bit stronger - I shall have Jo
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Cheers John - I'm almost certain I didn't go far enough
In reply to Andy Chubb:

Yeh thanks mate, I think from talking to others a few have made the same error - really looking forward to doing it now
In reply to Ciderslider:

We met you at the top over the weekend, I think. Forgot to mention there are two distinguishable features to the cave:

1) There is a head-sized hole on its left side

2) On the lip of the cave is a stuck wire with a screw-gate attached to it.

You really do have to walk for quite a way to get to it from the abb that we saw you at.

Hope you find it next time and enjoy it.

Dunc

In reply to Duncan Campbell - UKC:

We did indeed mate - thanks for the further info - I'm sure I will find it and enjoy

Cheers

Mark
OP Ciderslider 18 May 2014
In reply to Ciderslider:

Cheers all - found it yesterday - we didn't walk far enough last time - led both pitches - what a great route !!!!!!!!! A tad harder than Aventura

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...