UKC

Lake District Multi-Pitch Recommendations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MischaHY 07 May 2014
Hey, looking for some recommended multi-pitches in the Lakes. E1-E3 is around the grade I'd like, myself and climbing partner are both onsighting E3 single pitches.

So, what's good?
 Jon Stewart 07 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

In a heatwave, go to Scafell and do the classics:

Central Buttress: it may only have 1 5b pitch, but it's quite a mission. Brilliant route.
Saxon: The main pitch is a killer. Lovely bold climbing on little holds followed by a rock'ard crack (well it is when it's still a bit damp).
Ichabod: A big pitch with a testing traverse and then a whole lot more steep crack and groove climbing.
Roaring Silence: Liked the bold traverse on Ichabod? More of that, interrupted only by technical cracks with hard-won gear. And a scary roof pitch above. Beautiful.

Pavey is great too. Astra is a brilliant E2, combinations of Arcturus + Aardvark would be a good combo. Cruel Sister at E3.

Gimmer is kind of multi/single pitch hybrid. Excellent routes - Whit's End Direct is one of the best E1s ever, Equus is one of best E2s ever. Eastern Hammer (E3) is reputedly nails. They are single pitches, but they're 40m long and complex, starting on a ledge which could be accessed by the unsettling pushy-offy ramps of Intern or the slightly less good Crystal.

For a bit of convenience, but still multi-pitch, Castle Rock is excellent. Rigor Mortis is really quite hard at E2, the E1s are great.

And Dow - great crag. Samba Pa Ti (E2, access by Isengard HVS) is absolutely fantastic (and a rare steep, super-juggy, exposed soft-touch), Pink Panther is hard and bold (a single pitch but could be linked into something like Catacomb perhaps?). Sidewalk (E2) is classic but tails off into choss higher up.

There's a start anyway. My next destination is Black Crag (Borrowdale) for this sort of thing. Looks great.

The climbing in the Lakes is fantastic.
 Jon Stewart 08 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

What a lame response to this thread. Perhaps you should have put "Jeremy Clarkson" or "nigger" in the title?
In reply to MischaHY:

One of my fav's is 'Where Eagles Dare' on Eagle Crag.
OP MischaHY 08 May 2014
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Brilliant response, cheers.
OP MischaHY 08 May 2014
In reply to Timothy Greenhalgh:

Nice one, I'll check it out!
 pacman 08 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

E1-E3 multi-pitches I've done and thought were good...

Scafell:
Saxon
Sacrificial Squaddies
Bushwacker
Meridian
Central Buttress
Leverage

Heron Crag:
Gormenghast
Spec Crack

Dow:
Isengard / Samba Pa Ti
Sidewalk
Nimrod
Tarkus / Catacomb
Murray’s Superdirect

Pavey:
Cruel Sister
Big Brother (E4?)
Brackenclock
Astra
Astral By-Way
Capella
The Rib
Father of Night (was dirty, would be great if clean)
Poker Face
Red Groove

White Ghyll:
Paladin
Forget-Me-Knot
White Ghyll Eliminate

Black Crag:
Prana
Jubilee Grooves
Black Crag Eliminate
Raindrop

Greatend Crag:
Banzai Pipeline
Exclusion Zone
No Holds Barred (single pitch really)

Goat:
Praying Mantis

Eagle Crag:
Icarus Direct

Lower Falcon:
The Niche
Dedication

Dove Crag:
Dovedale Grooves

Routes I've not done but would like to...
Loads of 'em, anything 2/3 star route on the big crags

Also worth considering...
lots of good big single pitch options in the lakes as well, often quicker drying (e.g. plenty in Borrowdale, Langdale and on the wall across the gully from Napes Needle).

Get yourself some guidebooks and do some reading, you should have plenty of time to do some research whilst waiting for all these routes to dry out again!
 pacman 08 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

PS
have a look at High Crag, Buttermere as well whilst you're at it
OP MischaHY 08 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

Ah, great responses! Can't wait to check some of these out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...