UKC

Labour Election Broadcast

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 07 May 2014
Anyone else see this? B&W 'comedy' sketch showing a shrinking Nick Clegg in a room of tory toffs, no hint of what Labour's policies might be, just; 'Aren't the tories nasty public schoolboys?'.

Is that the best they could come up with?
 FesteringSore 07 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:
Never mind, when the Scots vote for independence in September we will finally be rid of Labour as they will fail to get a majority in England and Wales :0)
Post edited at 20:41
 pec 07 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

> Is that the best they could come up with? >

In the absence of any meaningful policies it probably is.

Simon4 07 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

> Is that the best they could come up with?

I believe their new, very expensive, American spin-doctor signing is a master of negative campaigning and astro-turfing. If this is all they get for the 6 figure sum they are paying him, Len McClusky may want his money back.
 Simon4 07 May 2014
In reply to pec:

> In the absence of any meaningful policies it probably is.

Oh come now, they have any number of policies - just that they are all meaningless populist soundbites (not cheap, they would be very, very expensive if anyone ever attempted to apply them), that will be forgotten if they manage to stagger over the door of no 10.

It is outrageous how whenever Miliband has a new bright idea, the BBC invariably headline all their newsbulletins with it. Shocking bias, Labour ought to at least be allowed the right to reply, or the BBC should do the decent thing and quietly ignore whatever unworkable lunacy is being propounded and send it to the oblivion it so richly deserves.
 pec 08 May 2014
In reply to Simon4:
> (In reply to pec)

> Oh come now, they have any number of policies - just that they are all meaningless populist soundbites .... >

Isn't that what I said? "In the absence of any meaningful policies it probably is."

Offwidth 08 May 2014
In reply to FesteringSore:

They said it was impossible for Labour before but then the Conservatives shot themselves repeatedly in the foot and labour sorted themselves out in terms of electability and Blair had a clear majority in England and Wales alone. Short memories.
 The Lemming 08 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:
I thought it was funny.

Nobody really cares about policy any more. Its more about polishing turds and public perception than substance.

Shame there were no kittens playing with balls of string.

youtube.com/watch?v=u2Fwf28ppns&
Post edited at 09:19
 pec 08 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

If you haven't seen it, here it is

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100270502/the-un-credible-shrin...

All parties use underhand tactics and fall back on "Punch and Judy" politics to some extent, but really, this plumbs new depths whilst telling absolutely nothing about what they stand for, and still they have the temerity to call the Tories the Nasty Party
 pec 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Nobody really cares about policy any more. >

Not surprising if parties don't have any. Even assuming you did find it funny, don't you think the potential party of government in one of the most powerful countries in the world ought to make at least some effort to make people care about policies by actually offering some and justifying them?

The Lemming 08 May 2014
In reply to pec:

>

> Not surprising if parties don't have any. Even assuming you did find it funny, don't you think the potential party of government in one of the most powerful countries in the world ought to make at least some effort to make people care about policies by actually offering some and justifying them?

And how are they going to do that when so many young people are turning off from politics?

Weren't student activists once the lifeblood of political protest and change?
The Poll Tax caused quite a stink back in the 80's. But if that happened now I think apithy would have prevailed and we'd still have the Poll Tax.

Pick a policy, any policy and show me the student activists fighting for or against it and making their presence felt on the mainstream news bulitins.
 Pekkie 08 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Well I thought it was funny and to the point. Better than a load of po-faced gits reciting boring policy proposals. Look at Farage and UKIP, not a coherent policy in sight. Yet everyone loves Nigel with his pint, his fag and his grin. Look at Boris. Chinless, brainless,haystack-headed, yet amazingly popular. OK, Labour should have a coherent hard-headed policy base but let's have a laugh at the same time.
 Bruce Hooker 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Shame there were no kittens playing with balls of string.

There was a kittie at the end who wanted to gobble Claggy.

In reply to Pekkie:

I agree, quite a good clip I thought by party political broadcast standards - normally people just go and make the tea or do the washing up they are so boring.

BTW how many have seen the original "Incredible shrinking man"? I have a couple of times at least and always found it quite disturbing, especially the end, no happy ending!
In reply to pec:
> (In reply to Ridge)
>
> If you haven't seen it, here it is
>
> http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100270502/the-un-credible-shrin...

Hmmm.. labour's new "spin doctor" is American you say.
 Tony the Blade 08 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

In reply to me:

There is always a 3rd option mate, not voting at all, in fact disengaging with the current political system as much as possible to devoid it of any legitimacy. It's time people moved on from coercive government, left and right and start to think about and develop a return to voluntaryism, as human beings were for almost 2 million years before the State (the most destructive entity in history) came along. Carry on as we are, voting for whoever, it won't change a thing, not quite sure how many times people need to be slapped in the face and have it up the arse to realise this
 Bruce Hooker 08 May 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> as human beings were for almost 2 million years before the State

There were human beings 2 million years ago? That's very interesting, I didn't know that!
 Offwidth 08 May 2014

Good try but voluntaryism only works when the state is held to account by voters.
 Tony the Blade 08 May 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Wiki: The earliest documented members of the genus Homo are Homo habilis which evolved around 2.3 million years ago
 The Lemming 08 May 2014

> In reply to me:

> There is always a 3rd option mate,

Benevolent dictator?

Maybe even a King or Queen to rule their minions?

The fewer people vote then all the more power to the extremists who can be arsed to get out of bed and vote.
 Blackmud 08 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

Negative campaigning? They're not even trying.

youtube.com/watch?v=63h_v6uf0Ao&
 Pekkie 08 May 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

>> 'BTW how many have seen the original "Incredible shrinking man"? I have a couple of times at least and always found it quite disturbing, especially the end, no happy ending!'

Does he keep on shrinking until he becomes an atom or is he eaten by a spider? No, that's 'The Fly'. A scientist teleports himself across his lab but there is a fly in the cabin and he comes out with the head of a fly. And the last clip is of a fly stuck in a spider's web. The camera pans in and it has a human head. It is screaming 'Help me!' Enough to give you nightmares. Not that I'm suggesting for one moment that this would be a suitable fate for Cleggy...

The New NickB 08 May 2014
In reply to pec:

> Not surprising if parties don't have any. Even assuming you did find it funny, don't you think the potential party of government in one of the most powerful countries in the world ought to make at least some effort to make people care about policies by actually offering some and justifying them?

I haven't seen it, but my understanding is that the accusation is that it is taking lots of pointers from the tactics of parties in THE most powerful country in the world. Haven't Labour signed up a member of the Obama team?

Probably not my sort of thing, I like intelligent policy debate, but I suspect I might be in a minority.
 Postmanpat 08 May 2014

> In reply to me:

> There is always a 3rd option mate, not voting at all, in fact disengaging with the current political system as much as possible to devoid it of any legitimacy. It's time people moved on from coercive government, left and right and start to think about and develop a return to voluntarism,

We could call it something like, er, "The big society"…….
OP Ridge 08 May 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

> Well I thought it was funny and to the point. Better than a load of po-faced gits reciting boring policy proposals.

I thought it was amateurish, something a bunch of six formers would come up with and think they were being really clever.

> Look at Farage and UKIP, not a coherent policy in sight. Yet everyone loves Nigel with his pint, his fag and his grin. Look at Boris. Chinless, brainless,haystack-headed, yet amazingly popular. OK, Labour should have a coherent hard-headed policy base but let's have a laugh at the same time.

Both Farage and Boris are individuals, but having the entire party playing the bufoon won't work, (UKIP seem to be trying that option, but they're not a serious political party). I think Labour have made a serious error here.
 Bruce Hooker 08 May 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

No, not like that, he shrinks and although his friend try to help him they can't see him any more. He fights off the cat, then makes a sword out of a pin and fights of a spider, by now massively bigger than him but there no antidote, no solution, it ends with him looking out through the grass, now jungle for him, pin in hand, and a tacky voice (maybe his own, I can't remember) says something about "once more man finds himself alone against nature, a pioneer..." Rather nightmarish, and all in black and white. One of the rare films of the time where the hero doesn't win.
 pec 08 May 2014
In reply to Ridge:

> I thought it was amateurish, something a bunch of six formers would come up with and think they were being really clever. >

Absolutely, it was utterly peurile. About as meaningful as portraying Miliband as Wallace (and Grommit). From a potential party of government it offers no reason to vote for them, just not to vote for the others.

> ... I think Labour have made a serious error here. >

I can't see how its going to win them any votes beyond their core who'd vote for them anyway. If I was wavering it would certainly put me off. I'm not going to vote for a party because they have the arrogance to believe they're nice people and all the others are nasty if they can't even be bothered to tell me how they'd deal with the very serious economic predicament the country will continue to face beyond even the next parliament as a result of a catastrophic economic calamity that happened on their watch in the first place.

Have they forgotten what happened when they played the politics of envy card at the Crewe by-election?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewe_and_Nantwich_by-election,_2008

Chambers 08 May 2014

> In reply to me:

>... not quite sure how many times people need to be slapped in the face and have it up the arse to realise this...

It seems that the more they're slapped and bum-raped the more submissive they become. But I'm interested in how you think it is possible to disengage from a system that dominates every aspect of humanity's lives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...