UKC

How do you carry your camera while on mountains?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 07 May 2014
Hello,

So finally I've got a new camera, Olympus Pen E-PL5 with few lenses (Lumix 20mm, kit lens, an old 50mm F/2 with Leica M39 thread - similar size of kit lens). I am planning to take the camera and two mentioned primes, 20mm and 50mm.

I used to carry a 1kg film rangefinder which has fallen many times and I didn't really care about its safety. I used a waist bag for it, but after a week I had serious bruises on my waist.

So how do you carry your camera? It must be easily accessible as I tend to have longer trips (hence, the rucksack weighs over 10kg). I am thinking about simple sling/shoulder bag for a camera and two lens while accessories (batteries and memory cards) can stay in the rucksack.

I know, it's overplanning, but from what I've seen, there aren't many options. Probably Lowe Pro Apex 110 AW would do the job, but haven't tried it yet.
 gunbo 07 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

Canon eos 400 with wide angle lens stuffed in top of climbing bag not damaged it in the last 2 years or I sometimes sling it on my neck between back and bag if I think I'll get a good picture mid route
OP PPP 07 May 2014
In reply to gunbo:

I had to add, I do more hill-walking rather than climbing outdoors. So I don't really mind a bag over my shoulder as long as it stays in the same place.
 ianstevens 07 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

Top of your rucksack or round your neck?
In reply to PPP:

I have two bags, a "Crumpler" paperboy style bag for daily dog walks, short hikes, and a Low Pro "Flipside" for travel, serious walks.

Both are fantastic for purpose.

I carry a 5D III & 70-300 / 17-40 lens in the crumpler daily, without strain.
robjob 07 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

I shoot with a 6d and 24-70 and various others and use a thinktank holster and hipbelt. works ace and I trust it. Only comes off when I am on lead apart from that it sits just above my harness. Have used it in the most ridiculous of places and conditions (elcap, scottish winter, Andes etc)

Ive lost the belt recently though which is a pain.
Great bit of kit. My d90 i used to have survived a 200" fall in it as well. (I was attached to the bag as well and fared a lot worse)

Regards

Rob
gouezeri 07 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

Not really an answer to your question, but maybe of use to someone else...

I use a few custom cases by www.photobackpacker.com
Decent protection, just the size I need, for whatever bag I'm carrying. Generally speaking, they get used the most for my 5x4" and 6x7 with a front loading rucksack and have been taken well over 4000m dozens of times. If I was looking to cut down as much as possible, then I would probably just take one camera + lens and some kind of neoprene wrap.
 gordo 07 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

i use the Lowepro Rezo TLZ 10 to hold my eos 450d. i have threaded a bit of webbing and some cam buckles so i can hang it off the front of my bag.it sits snug on my chest and i have the option to open a buckle and it will drop down for easier access or leave both buckles done up . if the cameras in my bag i wont take pictures.
 veteye 07 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

I always carry my DSLR on a karabiner so that it goes on my harness(usually the R rear loop).Even if you are a walker you could put the camera on a karabiner and then clip onto a loop on your rucksac waist belt.

Just for fun,I have a Grivel locking karabiner which matches the Nikon colours.
Currently have a 10-24mm lens on the camera,but I usually have a wider set of focal lengths,but that lens is not functional at the moment..
I did used to take a superzoom,but it walked in or out too readily.(I understand that they have improved in recent years).

Rob
 tehmarks 08 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

I just bought myself a Peak Designs Capture camera clip (and leash) for carrying my D3200 while climbing and such - and first impressions are that it's an amazing bit of kit. Especially if you're doing more hill walking than actual climbing, you can stick the clip on the strap of your rucksack. It keeps the camera 'just there', where you're far more likely to bother to use it.

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture

Also very tempted to get a Lowepro Photo Sport 30L for carrying on longer multipitch routes.
 Skyfall 08 May 2014
In reply to PPP:

Having carried a SLR in the hills for years I recently had a freak accident and, with camera slung around shoulder, aquaplaned down a hillside and trashed £2k of gear. Should have kept it in bag of some form. Lesson learned.

Insured and upgraded to 5D but still a huge stress. Don't get complacent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...