UKC

Bikepacking in Northern England/Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beano 08 May 2014
Hi

Needing some advice I'm looking at doing some bike packing so wheres the best places and routes for a few over nighters in Northern England or Scotland

Thanks
 Chris the Tall 08 May 2014
In reply to Beano:

Pennine Bridleway or one of the various coast to coast routes - the CTC website has plenty of info
 TobyA 08 May 2014
In reply to Beano:

Probably depends on your bike what you'll choose to do but I've done bikepacking overnighters (not in the UK, so not so much help specifically for your question!) which were mainly based around road riding and then others based around single track and off-road. For the former I use my CX bike and for the latter my MTB, so don't think you can only aim to bikepack on pure off-road routes that are 'bike-legal', it can also just be a cheaper and lightweight way of doing more traditional cycle touring.

Have fun, take some pictures and blog it if you find some successful routes - always great to get inspiration from others!
OP Beano 08 May 2014
In reply to Beano:

Thanks for the reply's I've got a Boardman HT Pro Mtb toby and normally disappear into the wilds of northumberland regularly but fancy doing something different and wild camp on the 2/3 ride somewhere.

I've got all the lightweight gear for doing it but just found a website called 'Bear Bones Bikepacking so that'll steer me in the right direction

Thanks again.
 d_b 08 May 2014
In reply to Beano:

How about Braemar to Tomintoul? There are certainly tracks most of the way on both sides, but not sure exactly how you would link them up without checking a map.
 TobyA 08 May 2014
In reply to Beano:

Yep, lots of good info on Bear Bones. You can see my set ups from various trips here http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/search/label/bikepacking trips with my MTB are on the second "older posts" page if you scroll down through the more recent posts which are all with my CX bike.
 Rick Graham 08 May 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:
> How about Braemar to Tomintoul? There are certainly tracks most of the way on both sides,

Wide track 95% at least.

Cairngorms. Best long distance off road bike area in UK, IMHO.

Several guidebooks for ideas.

Where to MTB in UK

VG Scotland

Cairngorm Glens

Ask at Bothy Bikes or just get a map.
Post edited at 16:45
OP Beano 12 May 2014
In reply to Beano:

Cheers lads for your input

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...