UKC

Disconnecting my seatbelt warning beep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Enty 08 May 2014
I can see the wire into the seatbelt socket. Is it a case of just snipping it and shorting it out?

Cheers,

E
 winhill 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

You can buy plastic blanks off ebay for about £3 that will sort it.

Or try to cut one yourself from thick plastic?

It's a bit less distructive.
 Sean_J 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Yeah, it will either need shorting together or leaving as on open circuit, try it both ways.
 elsewhere 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:
Would that invalidate your insurance or MoT?
 simonjb 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Try wearing the seatbelt.... it magically switches off the beep when you do!
 Bob 08 May 2014
In reply to simonjb:

The alarm is activated by there being sufficient pressure on the seat (and the vehicle moving above a certain speed), I've found that only a few Kilogrammes is enough to activate it, something like a bag of shopping. Obviously depends on make of car (though I suppose that there aren't that many manufacturers of these parts) but it might be that it's not a "person" on the seat at all.
 butteredfrog 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:
Depends on the car, if its something modern and German, the seatbelt warning sensor will probably be linked into the seat airbags, curtain airbags and seatbelt pre-tensioner. Cutting and splicing could be risky and expensive. (Before anyone questions this statement, I am a mechanic and stranger things have happened when it comes to airbags.)

An acquaintance wrote-off a BMW 5 series a few years ago, purely by changing a tail-lamp bulb with the engine running. The car decided it was having a crash (faulty ECU) and fired every airbag. The customer was sat in it at the time.

Nip down to the breakers and cut yourself a suitable seatbelt end to plug in when necessary, would be my prefered option.

Adam
Post edited at 12:51
 woolsack 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Or get under the dash, find the annoying beeper and mute it with a smear of silicon sealant
In reply to Enty:

Noooooooooooooooooo!! DON'T just snip the wire! Speaking from (painful) experience here!

Like other's had mentioned, I was getting fed up when I had a small bag of shopping on the passenger seat which was setting off the beep. Snip snip, air bag warning light came on....MOT failure.

Reconnected wire....airbag warning light still on. Pah!

The only reliable way to disable the beep is to use whatever OBD connector is suitable for your car, and adjust it through a computer. In my case it was VAGCOM and a mate's notebook with the right software, fiddled a couple of settings and turned off the passenger warning beep, and turned on a few other nifty settings I didn't realise the car had.

IG
 jkarran 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Worth considering which bits of data feed into the airbag and explosive pre-tension system, you may interfere with more than the beeper. If they do feed that system then the circuit is likely a little more complex than open/closed for fault detection purposes.

jk
Post edited at 13:02
In reply to Enty:

I don't get this - can't you just fasten the seatbelt if you have stuff on the passenger seat setting off the alarm?

jcm
 rallymania 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

could you quickly reach across, put the seatbelt on the empty seat and then pop your shopping / dog on the seat?

might be a whole lot simpler?
 toad 08 May 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> I don't get this - can't you just fasten the seatbelt if you have stuff on the passenger seat setting off the alarm?
>
> jcm

My dad did this for years, except it was the drivers seatbelt
 Yanis Nayu 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

I know that if I did it, the beep would be on constantly...
 Trangia 08 May 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

> Would that invalidate your insurance or MoT?

That was my thought too
 Neil Williams 08 May 2014
In reply to toad:

You could, if you regularly carry stuff on the passenger seat, get hold of a spare buckle and put that in the holder. That way the car would think it was always fastened.

Disclaimer: For obvious legal and safety reasons, it is not a good idea to do this on the driver's seat.

Neil
 RedFive 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

If you have a Ford Focus you are in luck - I used to, and this works....

Mk1/2(2000-2011)

Permanent deactivation: Before starting, make sure that:

The parking brake is set.
The car is in Park(automatic), Neutral(manual).
The ignition is OFF.
All doors are closed.
The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
The parking and headlights are OFF.

1) Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
2) Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!
3) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
4) Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
5) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.
6) Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt. This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.

MkIII (2012 and newer)

On the new Focus, each front seat must have the belt minder disabled separately. For the passenger side, it's best to have a friend who's willing to help. The below procedure will toggle Belt-Minder functionality for whichever seat you wish.

Turn the ignition on (RUN, not start)
Wait about a minute for the seat belt light to turn off on the instrument cluster.
Buckle, then unbuckle the seatbelt (either the driver or passenger side), 4 times, ending with the belt unbuckled.
The seatbelt light will flash 3 times
Within a few seconds, buckle then unbuckle the seatbelt once more.
XXXX 08 May 2014
In reply to DefenderKen:

OR... just do the seatbelt up.

OP Enty 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Thanks for all the replies. Currently got the passenger belt clipped in mine.
Loving the just fasten it answers by the way.

E
 Timmd 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:
> Thanks for all the replies. Currently got the passenger belt clipped in mine.

> Loving the just fasten it answers by the way.

> E

Can I ask why you don't want to wear your seatbelt?

(You seem pretty cautious from posting about replacing anything on the front of your bike made from carbon if it gets knocked much.)

Puzzled of Sheffield.

(Fair enough if it's just because...)
Post edited at 17:26
 Mike Stretford 08 May 2014
In reply to Timmd: He's probs trying to build a car-boat.

Mike Stretford 08 May 2014
In reply to Timmd: Or drives a convertible in the sun a lot and doesn't like the white stripe across his torso.
Lusk 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

Put things on the back seat or boot!

My mate told me last night, his iphone sets off the passenger seat belt alarm!!!
 Jim Fraser 08 May 2014
In reply to simonjb:

> Try wearing the seatbelt.... it magically switches off the beep when you do!

I suppose you won't be worried about the insurance and MoT aspects because it won't matter to you when you're dead you thick muppet.
 Oo 08 May 2014
Only applicable to the passenger side but 'just do it up' doesn't always work. You forget, start driving, it goes off and then there is the obvious temptation to reach across without stopping. I've never been keen on the alarms as they've only ever sounded for me as a false positive.
 Morgan Woods 08 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

This is why i love cars of a particular vintage 99-2000 ish they don't have these sort of rubbish features. I find it hard to believe anybody can actually forget to put their seatbelt on so why the stupid warning noise?
 Timmd 08 May 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> I suppose you won't be worried about the insurance and MoT aspects because it won't matter to you when you're dead you thick muppet.

I didn't want to post that, but I was thinking about how deaths went down after seatbelt legislation arrived in Britain.

It is pretty daft.
 Blue Straggler 08 May 2014
In reply to Morgan Woods:

> This is why i love cars of a particular vintage 99-2000 ish they don't have these sort of rubbish features. I find it hard to believe anybody can actually forget to put their seatbelt on so why the stupid warning noise?

Was that a strange short interim period during which cars didn't have this? Our T-reg (what's that? 1979 or so) Volvo 244 DL had a clicking-sound warning and red flashing light for "no seatbelt on". My 1987 cheap Euro hatchbacks had nothing. My 1999 VW Polo Saloon....er...can't remember, maybe a little light but no noise. My 2001 Astra - again no beeping, maybe a warning light. My 1999 Vectra - ditto. My 2004 MG Zt-T - nothing at all
Jim C 09 May 2014
In reply to Enty: my daughter's Mazda 3 seems to have seatbelt beeps that seem to me to mimic parking radar!
This caught me out the first time I drove it a short distance and parked it (without a belt on.)

The very annoying beeping (changing to a constant tone after a bit,) I mistook for for parking sensors ( which I found were not fitted) .
As a lot of people remove the seat belt when reversing, this might get a bit confusing.

Does anyone have a Mazda 3 WITH parking sensors, as it must get even more confusing to have two sets of similar beeps going if you are parking without a seat belt on ?

OP Enty 09 May 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> I suppose you won't be worried about the insurance and MoT aspects because it won't matter to you when you're dead you thick muppet.

Who was that aimed at??

E
 Jim Fraser 09 May 2014
In reply to Enty:

> Who was that aimed at??

Anyone not wearing a seatbelt.

OP Enty 09 May 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

Funny thing to say when you don't know anything about the situation that's all.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...