UKC

Sugaru. Any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 08 May 2014
Is this stuff as good as the marketing says it is?

And are there any competitors?
 goose299 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Yeh. I've coated my axes in it. Makes them warmer on the hands
Still got a spare packet knocking round somewhere. You can have it if i can dig it out
 Fiona Reid 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

It's currently holding both a fish slice and the grater in my house together and has withstood dishwashing etc no bother.

I tried sticking it on my walking boots as extra protection to the toe area. However, it fell off pretty much on first use. I also tried it on the toes of rock shoes and same issue.

nniff 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Made a rear light bracket for an aero seat post out of it (bicycle). Works well. The left overs proved not to be sufficiently robust to repair the missing yellow bits off bike cleats though (hardly surprising)

It's Sugru by the way, unless you are talking about something completely different
 Martin W 08 May 2014
In reply to goose299:

> Still got a spare packet knocking round somewhere. You can have it if i can dig it out

Beware: the stuff has a fairly limited shelf life (six months IIRC, though their web site says that keeping it in the fridge makes it keep longer).
 misterb 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

tis rubbish for repairing the sole of rock boots as has no friction but could do a job on upper rand if you have that indoor wall climber toe drag problem
OP The Lemming 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks for the replies chaps. I bought some today to try and repair a Tablet computer where the bezel has snapped.

The stuff is quite expensive though. Are there any generic clones of the stuff that is cheaper?
 winhill 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Alpkit have done good things with it and they sell it, although the other day I saw it in wilkinson's (the shop, not the artist formerly known as blanchie's).

I think you'd have to be specific about the application though as to whether it's good.
 goose299 08 May 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Sounds like I don't have some then. Wasn't aware it had such a short shelf life.
OP The Lemming 08 May 2014
In reply to goose299:

> Sounds like I don't have some then. Wasn't aware it had such a short shelf life.

The stuff I have, has an expiry date of next year but I've shoved it in the fridge all the same.

I only used a small portion of one packet before wrapping the rest in cling-film. Wonder if it will survive?
 nufkin 08 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> The stuff I have, has an expiry date of next year but I've shoved it in the fridge all the same.

> I only used a small portion of one packet before wrapping the rest in cling-film. Wonder if it will survive?

Don't know about wrapping in clingfilm, but the use-by date seems to mean business - there's a noticeable difference in pre and post date, the 'too old' stuff being crumbly and almost unworkable, even a short period after the cut-off time
 Blue Straggler 09 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> The stuff is quite expensive though. Are there any generic clones of the stuff that is cheaper?

How much do you think stuff like this should cost?
In reply to The Lemming:

Keith Harris might drive a Sugaru. Or a Gentley perhaps.
 Choss 09 May 2014
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

> Keith Harris might drive a Sugaru. Or a Gentley perhaps.

9/10 for that one sir :-D

Would have been a 9•5 if you had stayed Japanese and gone for Mitsugishi.
 jonnie3430 09 May 2014
In reply to Fiona Reid:

> I tried sticking it on my walking boots as extra protection to the toe area. However, it fell off pretty much on first use. I also tried it on the toes of rock shoes and same issue.

This stuff works well, I keep the toes of my winter boots covered in it to stop them wearing out too quick. mcnett freesole urethane repair adhesive. (UKC won't let me link...)
 Fiona Reid 09 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
Clingfilm won't help - I've tried this before. Once the stuff comes in contact with air it cures fast. The clingfilm and fridge might slow down the process but after a day or so you'll have stuff that's set solid.
Post edited at 08:11
 Fiona Reid 09 May 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

Agreed, other half has the McNett stuff on his boots and aside from looking a bit odd (black toes on brown boots) it seems to work pretty well.
OP The Lemming 09 May 2014
In reply to broken spectre:

> 9/10 for that one sir :-D

> Would have been a 9•5 if you had stayed Japanese and gone for Mitsugishi.

10/10 from me.

My first attempt at using this stuff is about to hit its 24 hour curing time. Lets hope this stuff is as magical as the blurb says.
 Martin W 09 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
> The stuff is quite expensive though. Are there any generic clones of the stuff that is cheaper?

According to the data sheet http://sugru.com/pdfs/tds.pdf there are three international patent applications pending for Formerol aka Sugru. That would tend to deter cloning but it obviously can't be ruled out.

In reply to winhill:

> Alpkit have done good things with it and they sell it, although the other day I saw it in wilkinson's (the shop, not the artist formerly known as blanchie's).

You can get it in B&Q (on the same aisle as fillers, caulk etc) and on Amazon as well.

In reply to goose299:

> Sounds like I don't have some then. Wasn't aware it had such a short shelf life.

Apologies, it's 13 months according to their web site. As The Lemming says, the expiry date is printed on the packaging. And, as Fiona Reid says, once one of the sealed packets is opened, it's use it or lose it. That means that every time you open a packet, it's cost you ~£1.50 to £2 however much of it you use. Just something to bear in mind. Overall, I'd say it's not something worth buying on a whim "just in case": you're best having a specific purpose in mind, and assess the cost against that on the basis that you might not be able to make worthwhile use of any excess.
Post edited at 15:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...