UKC

Food substitute.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 08 May 2014
Have been watching the crowd funded food substitute Soylent for a while. Its now been released as a product for the general public.

It appears you can live off it long term for a cost of around £40 a month.

Is this going to revolutionize the way we eat?
 Blue Straggler 08 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Is it from Charlton Heston Blumenthal?
 LucaC 08 May 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

No, definitly not. Perhaps for natural disaster areas or other emergencies, but I for one couldn't stand that for daily use.
In reply to Indy:

You need to read the Soylent Oceanographic Survey Report, 2015 to 2019.
 Choss 08 May 2014

> Is it from Charlton Heston Blumenthal?

Touche
 Mr Trebus 08 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

On The Register a while ago they lived on it for week. From memory they were underwhelmed, but did work well to cure a hangover.

Don't think it will take off for normal use as folk like variety. Totally has a place in the ration pack or famine mix market though.
mgco3 09 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Food is any substance consumed to provide nutritional support for the body.

Unless the "subtitute" is "administered" in another manner than orally it can't be a substitute. It is still food..

Choss 09 May 2014
In reply to mgco3:

The guy is Flakier than Boris Johnsons scalp. Total pish.
OP Indy 09 May 2014
In reply to mgco3:

Every source I've read about Soylent inc. The Guardian, Wikipedia even Soylent themselves have described it as a "food substitute". I don't disagree with what you say I'm just going with what seems the general consensus.

There are plenty of people that find shopping, cooking and eating a chore. I also have no doubt that the £40 a month cost will appeal to a large number of people.
 elsewhere 09 May 2014
In reply to Indy:
Nutrition without the pleasures of food won't be popular.
 Firestarter 09 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Guinness - there's your food substitute right there (pork chop in every pint apparently).
 RomTheBear 10 May 2014
In reply to Indy:

Nestlé and other companies have been making similar products for ages and they are much better. They just never marketed it as a mass product
 Thrudge 10 May 2014

> Is it from Charlton Heston Blumenthal?

<applause>
 deepsoup 10 May 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

> Nestlé and other companies have been making similar products for ages and they are much better.

In the film, Soylent Green was manufactured by a ruthless, power-hungry, amoral corporation. All a bit far-fetched eh?
Antigua 10 May 2014
In reply to elsewhere:

I think that by definition the existence of McDonalds kills that theory

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...