UKC

Climbing insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 0153453 09 May 2014
Hi just looking for a bit of advice regarding insurance for a trip abroad. I'm a bmc member so that is the obvious one, but we're (me and the girlfriend) heading to Mallorca around July, and would really like to get in some climbing. Only problem is she has just finished treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma, so not sure about where to go for insurance.

Thanks in advance.
 duchessofmalfi 09 May 2014
In reply to 0153453:

My experience is that BMC insurance has become very expensive recently. I have a medical condition that I declared to the BMC which more than doubled the already eye-watering quote.

Snowcard was cheaper for me (even ignoring the medical loading from the BMC) and I passed their medical questionaire with no additional loading.

anaesthetic 10 May 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Do you already have regular travel insurance covering the medical condition? I'm looking for top-up cover as my annual insurance doesn't cover climbing. Something like this:

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/activity-topup-insurance/

not sure how top-up would be affected by medical conditions though....
OP 0153453 12 May 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Thanks for the replies, going to have a look at the options, she has got travel insurance, just won't cover climbing through that thought. Has anyone any experience getting adventure climbing insurance after recovering from a type of cancer? Cheers
 stuartf 12 May 2014
In reply to 0153453:

My wife recently got travel insurance for a trip to the US from insure and go after finishing treatment for hodgkins. It wasn't any more expensive as they just excluded any claims related to the hodgkins. We reckoned it wasn't going to cause any emergency medical expenses so the main risk was that cancellation would not have been covered in the event of relapse. I don't know what they offer by way of rock climbing cover but we have used them before for winter sports.
OP 0153453 13 May 2014
In reply to stuartf:

Thanks that looks a good option, need to ring them but even if it costs double the online quote it's still cheaper than her last insurance (mid treatment) for both of us, including climbing, cheers.
 jonnie3430 13 May 2014
In reply to 0153453:

Have you checked the cover you get on an E111? Is medical insurance needed, or is it mountain rescue insurance you are after? Is mountain rescue charged in Mallorca? I rate the AAC and suggest you read the small print there and answer the questions above.
 Alex Pryor 19 May 2014
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Have you checked the cover you get on an E111?

I wouldn't ever bank on this. It can be very difficult to find doctors who accept E111s in some areas. And if you need medical attention you may not be in a very good state to shop around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...