ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Marmolada Descent and UK grades for Dollies Classics

TRip - on 10 May 2014

Planning to head to the Dolomites this summer for a 9 days (really jobs are bad guys and gals - don't get one!).

Looking for recommendations for routes in HVS-E3 range.

I've got my eyes on things like the:

Comici-Dimai on Cima Grande
Cassin Route on Cima Piccolissma
Yellow Edge on Cima Piccola
Messner Route on Sella Towers
Don Quixote on Marmolda S Face or Vinatzer with Messner Finish. Marmolds S Face. Anyone done both? Which is best?
Steger route on Rosengartenspitze.

Can anyone who has done suggest UK grades for them and maybe suggest a few more classics.

As usual I've got a few geeky gear queries...

What's the minimum amount of kit two relatively competent alpinists would need to descend down the Glacier off the back of the Marmolada. Just studded fell running shoes? Fell shoes and micro spikes?

There is a fair chance that we'll miss the last cable car down. Is there any shelter at the lift station? I presume it's a good idea to take a warm jacket in case of a night out?

If the weather comes in it can get very, very wet very quickly. With this in mind I presume it is a good idea to a lightweight waterproof on most long routes?

Do most folk use half ropes? Was considering taking a skinny single paired with a half so I can haul the bag on the harder pitches on the Comici? Or does this just sound like a total faff? Quicker and easier to second on a tight rope pulling on the odd runner?

Oh and we'll be going in my mate's van are their plenty of places near the crags we can park overnight for free?

Cheers,

Tom
Post edited at 15:09
... not showing 15 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums