UKC

Fred Whitton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 10 May 2014
Anyone else planning on riding the Fred Whitton tomorrow? My mate has just dropped out because of the weather forecast.

I'm just looking at how many layers I can fit in my saddle bag in the hope of not being too cold. If the weather is on the worst end of the forecast I think I may get too cold to continue. Is it reckless to have a bash anyway?
 AlisonSmiles 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Last year people were pulling out with hypothermia. I don't think it's reckless to do it in bad weather, but I do think it's reckless to do it with insufficient clothing. Waterproof, windproof garment with long sleeves to start with.
 ewar woowar 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Every day cycling conditions round here.

Get your mate to MTFU
 andy 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett: is the weather forecast that bad? BBC has showers and 11mph westerly winds - hardly biblical.

climbingpixie 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Forecast looks much better than last year - much less wet, cold and windy. MWIS reckons the rain will be moving inland by afternoon so the western half should be dryish.

I was planning on wearing shorts, knee warmers, short sleeve jersey with arm warmers and a gilet. I'll also have my thermal headband, shoe covers, full gloves and a decent waterproof. I'm lucky though, I've got someone meeting me at Ennerdale who can bring another layer and dry gloves etc.
In reply to ablackett:

Rule 5.
 Pagan 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Your mate sounds like a fanny; compared to last year the forecast is a dream. Get your arm warmers on and get out there - there are about 3000 people who didn't get a place this year, you're one if the lucky ones who actually got onto the ride; the least you could do is actually try.
 IMA 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

wear your gilet, shove the rain coat and soft shell up the back of your jersey if you are bothered about space and cold.
OP ablackett 10 May 2014
In reply to IMA:

I'm going to have a bash, but I do tend to get cold, so will have to see how it goes. Sticking the spare layer up the back of the jersey is a great idea. Thanks. My mate did it last year and got round and the memory is still raw I think!
 AlisonSmiles 10 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

My fella (who did it last year) suggests headwear. Buffs or other. Seconds climbing pixie on overshoes etc.

I like the stuff it up your jumper idea.
 IMA 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Saves the space and bulk in the pockets, flat thirds are great, though I appreciate if you remove it whilst riding you just shove it up the back of the jersey.

Allows the pockets for food, gels, tools and pocket warmers (great for shoes and gloves during winter training)
 danm 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

I did it last year, and to be fair it was pretty savage. The Calder Bridge feed station was like a war zone. There were idiots in shorts and short sleeve tops mind. Dude in front of me in the queue for the bog keeled over, was pretty mental. Eat lots, take decent clothes and you'll get round somehow, I managed it anyone can.
OP ablackett 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Thanks for all the encouragement, I did it, it was a long day, but never got cold, wore windproof base layer, winter jersey, thermal full zip jersey and carried/wore waterproof. I was bloody hot sometimes, but never cold!

Great event. Great route.

AlisonSmiles 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Well done, the mere thought of that bloody event terrifies me so kudos for survival!
 nbonnett 11 May 2014
In reply to Pagan:

Well said
 nbonnett 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Well done
 andy 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

> Thanks for all the encouragement, I did it, it was a long day,

> Great event. Great route.

Wasn't it fab? I thought the weather was fine - started in a l/s jersey and gilet, ended up in just the jersey. No waterproofs (thought about it on Honister but decided against - superb organisation, marshalling and support. Cowbells on every climb!!
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 11 May 2014
In reply to andy:

Nice one Andy, and all the other completers.

Neil

Kimono 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

how much ascent is it? I had a look on the website but couldn't find it
 climbingpixie 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

What a day! After bailing last year at Calderbridge this time managed to get round without having to push or stop (other than a v. brief tactical stop on the flat bit of Hardknott to let the road ahead clear). I started the day wanting to get round so I didn't have to do it again and finished it wondering if I'd get a better time next time...
 climbingpixie 11 May 2014
In reply to Kimono:

About 4000m of ascent, maybe a bit less.
 Mike Redmayne 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Yes, it was great. Amazing marshals and supporters. And food: plates of malt loaf, like heaven.
 andy 11 May 2014
In reply to Kimono: 11,200' - whatever that is in metres!

Brass Nipples 11 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Did the spectators have cow bells on the passes again this year? Great route and event. Lovely day out.

Pagan 12 May 2014
In reply to ablackett:

Good effort; glad you got out there and enjoyed it. I was marshalling at Skelwith Bridge this year, just about everyone looked to be enjoying themselves even when it was pissing down - the atmosphere was fantastic.
 Kimono 12 May 2014
In reply to andy:

3413 metres apparently….so a fair bit short of the 4000mts suggested above.
still a good day out though

ps rule 24
 andy 12 May 2014
In reply to Kimono:
Whatever Rule 24 says the Fred's always been imperial - it trancends the Rules.
 andy 12 May 2014
In reply to Pagan:
Massive thanks to you and everyone else who gave up their time to marshal etc - one of the things that makes it unique is the sheer number, enthusiasm and professionalism of the team - brilliant. Thanks!
 climbingpixie 12 May 2014
In reply to Orgsm:

There were loads of cow bells, it was amazing! The spectators and marshals were brilliant - you'd think the enthusiasm would wane after the first 1000 or so cyclists but I came home near the back of the field and they were still cheering and clapping.
 Mike Redmayne 12 May 2014
In reply to Pagan:

Yes, thanks. Great job. I don't think I ever had to stop at a junction the marshals were controlling the traffic so well.
 andy 12 May 2014
In reply to climbingpixie:
I put a bit of a spurt (relatively speaking) on as I went round the second of the super-steep hairpins at the top of Hardknott, and the rise in volume was amazing. Thankfully they then moved on to encouraging the rest of the field and didn't see me sag pathetically back onto the saddle and grind my way up the last 100m to the top!
In reply to ablackett:

Get well soon to these poor chaps...

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2014/05/11/fred-whitton-challenge-cyclist-...

These descents are brutal.
 andy 12 May 2014
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:
Yes, saw that last night. Hope they're ok.

There are benefits to being an incredibly cautious descender - although even with my white knuckle constant braking I had a few nervous slidy bits coming down Hardknott.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...