UKC

Star Wars?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 10 May 2014
Of all the episodes, good bad and awful, which is your fav and why?
 balmybaldwin 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Empire strikes back.. its all menacing and dark, and theres no happy ending
OP The Lemming 10 May 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Funnily enough, I agree. And I shall be watching it this evening as I have not seen it for years.

Ffion Blethyn 10 May 2014

Seconded. Dark (no pun intended) and brooding like SW should be and not yet aimed at the child audience.

I have a bad feeling (about this ) and wonder what the new new films will be like.
 balmybaldwin 10 May 2014
In reply to Ffion Blethyn:

I still havent seen ep 3 (the most recent one) not sure if i should bother based on 1&2
 1poundSOCKS 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Episode IV, A New Hope. I just enjoy it the most, maybe because I still remember the excitement of seeing it in the cinema in 1977 or 1978 was it, and the death star battle at the end is a great finale. I still remember the disappointment at the end of Empire Strikes Back, also when I saw it in the cinema many years ago.
 1poundSOCKS 10 May 2014

I think episode 3 is the worst of all six.
 Kimono 10 May 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I think episode 3 is the worst of all six.

worse than 1?? My god it must be bad. 1 made me give up all hope
 goose299 10 May 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:
I hope you're joking. Need I mention jar jar binks?
Post edited at 20:12
In reply to Kimono:

I must say I love all of them. Maybe it's because ep.1 came out when i was 9.
 arch 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
"The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet"

Empire strikes back for me. Although, the scene in No 4 where Obi Wan confronts DV on the death star runs it close on that scene alone. "I've been waiting for you Obi Wan"
Post edited at 21:19
 arch 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

......Or even. "I won't fail you, I'm not afraid" "Yer, You will be, you will be"

Philip 10 May 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> I think episode 3 is the worst of all six.

6? When did they make another 3 (I am aware of the parody trilogy with jar jar binks).
In reply to arch:

> "I've been waiting for you Obi Wan"

...and I know what you are getting for Christmas.

arch 10 May 2014

Already have. VHS, DVD and BluRay.

Sad, I know.
 Merlin 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

For all the faults of 1-3, which can mainly be attributed to actors and characters, there are some great scenes; Battle scene with Darth Maul and when you see Yoda fight.

> ...and I know what you are getting for Christmas.

I have felt your presents.

I'll get my Robes.
In reply to arch:

> Already have. VHS, DVD and BluRay.

I never doubted you for a second. Wonderful.

1poundSOCKS 10 May 2014
In reply to goose299:

He was in all the first three wasn't he?
 aln 10 May 2014
In reply to Merlin:

when you see Yoda fight.

Really? The ridiculous scene with Yoda fighting Christopher Lee was the nail in thè coffin for me.
 Tom Last 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Empire
 Mr Moac 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Of all the episodes, good bad and awful, which is your fav and why?

None Star Wars is Crap
Graeme G 10 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

1,2and 3 are shite. Explaining what the force is, Yoda fighting, a load of political crap and Jar Jar. Utter utter shite.

The originals are of course wonderful, particularly Empire.

Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Would it be heresy to say im not a big fan, but if i had to choose, then the first one made, was something new in 1977.

Ps yesterday Darth Vader, stormtroopers, tie fighter pilots, hoth stormtroopers, Death star Types, and praetorian guards walked through town, and boba fett took a shot at me with his Blaster.
 Steve Perry 11 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are brilliant, Lucas's dismal plan to cash in with the kids came when Ewoks appeared in Return of the Jedi - which was shite - and then he completely sold out in part one with JJ Bink and that silly race which was comparable to Catch the Pigeon.
The only good characters in the new 3 were Natalie Portman (ok ish) and The Sith Lord, the rest were gash, Macgregor, Jackson and all, especially Macgregor.
 goose299 11 May 2014
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

To be honest, I try to forget the second trilogy. I know he was predominatly in the phantom menace though
 LastBoyScout 11 May 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

I'll agree will that, with the exception that the start of Jedi was ok - but the Ewoks were.plain silly.

Can't stand Ewan MacGregor at the best of times and he ruined the newer ones just as much as Jar Jar did - no wonder Anakin rebelled!
 Mikkel 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:

you in Lincoln?
 Choss 11 May 2014
In reply to Mikkel:

Bristol, annual comic con on.
 Mikkel 11 May 2014
In reply to Choss:
Lots of them about in Lincoln this weekend as well.
 Clarence 11 May 2014
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I'll agree will that, with the exception that the start of Jedi was ok - but the Ewoks were.plain silly.

Worse than that, they became a rod for the back of every short, hairy kid from that day for many years to come. I have lost count of the times my school "friends" provoked my anger with the ewok jibe.

Empire Strikes Back is the best of the six, even better after all the odd stuff that Family Guy pointed out to me (Lando starts dressing in Han's clothes!).
 Trevers 11 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Empire Strikes Back. Just everything about it
 Blue Straggler 11 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:
The Holiday Special, because it features a completely unambiguous scene of Chewbacca's dad knocking out a quick hand shandy (thankfully off camera) during a weird virtual-reality performance from Diahann Carroll. It is one of the most mental things I've ever seen in a "family-friendly" TV show.
Post edited at 19:01
 Blue Straggler 11 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

And the Asajj Ventress episode of Attack of the Clones was a masterful example of how to hold the audience's attention for over 7 minutes with no dialogue at all.
 Lurking Dave 12 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Best = Empire
Worst = Ep1.
2nd worst(est) Caravan of Courage
3rd shite(est) = Battle for endor

LD
 Jonny2vests 12 May 2014
In reply to most people:

I think you should all re watch Revenge of the Sith, dark, menacing, no jar jar, no happy ending.
OP The Lemming 12 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

After the Jar Jar fiasco, I never fully watched the other films that followed it. I've seen bits here and there but not from start to finish.

The highly anticipated next installment will need some impressive reviews if it is going to get me to visit a cinema again.
 Blue Straggler 12 May 2014
In reply to Jonny2vests:

I think you are almost certainly right and I must get around to rewatching it.
It did have problems though. General Grievous was a huge let-down after all the hype (and his terrifying build-up and introduction in the 2D Clone Wars series, but I suppose we should let the feature film prequel trilogy stand alone). His demise was so lame that I thought "oh, he's bound to come back from that" and was disappointed when that was it (just a single blaster shot from Obi-Wan).
Christensen (or rather, his dialogue) let things down again, with the "younglings slaughter" and so on. The shoehorned-in rushed appearance of a load of peripheral Jedi (and of the Wookie planet) felt, erm, shoehorned-in and rushed.
The final fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan, although very well realised and choreographed, was rather too grisly - I mean, I liked it, but it didn't fit in with the rest of the family-friendly vibe of the films. The lingering shot of Anakin's near-dead, dismembered, charred twitching form, was a bit gratuitous. But you are right, the incredibly bleak ending is totally forgotten/overlooked by everyone and arguably far outdoes the ending of TESB!
 Offwidth 12 May 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Kids have been brought up forever on grisly moral tales and some of the best fiction and films for kids fits that format. I think the trouble with the final fight is that most sane sensible folk would have left the series a long time back. Just imagine what those films could have been like with a few strategic changes of actor and a team of proper scriptwriters... all of which would have costed peanuts compared to the special effects bill.
 RyanOsborne 12 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm secretly a fan of Episode 3. Mostly for the fact that it ties together all the different strands of the story, and it does have some brilliant scenes. If Episodes 1-3 are judged on their own merits, and not compared to the originals, then I think they'd be at the top of what Hollywood has produced in the last fifteen years... Not that that's saying much.
 Euge 12 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

Favourite is easy... Empire followed by Star Wars
And I think that Revenge of The Sith is better than Return of The Jedi.
ROTJ made Vader a wuss!!!

But 1 and 2 are total pants

Euge
 Offwidth 12 May 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

"Episodes 1-3 are judged on their own merits, and not compared to the originals, then I think they'd be at the top of what Hollywood has produced in the last fifteen years"

Hollywood has produced many excellent films in the last 15 years, even if often despite the system. All the last 4 star wars films were heavily flawed, just some more so than others.

Blue Straggler 12 May 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> they'd be at the top of what Hollywood has produced in the last fifteen years...

I think they were independently produced and funded.
Fox probably had a distribution / marketing deal, but the films themselves were independent, so George Lucas had complete artistic freedom, such that his vision could not be compromised by soulless bean-counting men in suits who have no appreciation of great storytelling and characterisation....ummmm.....

Euge 13 May 2014

> Fox probably had a distribution / marketing deal, but the films themselves were independent, so George Lucas had complete artistic freedom, such that his vision could not be compromised by soulless bean-counting men in suits who have no appreciation of great storytelling and characterisation....ummmm.....

hahahahahaha... Brilliant

Euge
Removed User 13 May 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Although what I noticed the other day was that at the end of ROTS they have started building the Death Star: this is presumably in the same timeline as the rest of the film. That means they took 17 (or whatever) years to build it (& then it didn't work). They need to hire a different building firm.
 Choss 13 May 2014
In reply to Removed User:

> Although what I noticed the other day was that at the end of ROTS they have started building the Death Star: this is presumably in the same timeline as the rest of the film. That means they took 17 (or whatever) years to build it (& then it didn't work). They need to hire a different building firm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQdDRrcAOjA&feature=youtube_gdata_playe...
 Blue Straggler 13 May 2014

> it didn't work

Try telling that to Leia!

RyanOsborne 13 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

17 years doesn't seem excessive. Remember, it's the size of a small moon. Also, I bet that construction work in deep space would have its own problems which would slow stuff down. Everyone would need breathing apparatus for a start. And they're working in a vacuum... Would welding work in a vacuum?
 JamButty 13 May 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

and thats a shit load of scaffolding you need.
 RyanOsborne 13 May 2014
In reply to JamButty:

Yeah, availability of construction materials presents a whole new range of issues. But you'd expect with Grand Moff Tarkin in charge, the supply chain would run pretty smoothly. If I was supplying scaffolding to GMT, I'd be keen not to disappoint him.
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Everyone would need breathing apparatus for a start.

Yes but in The Phantom Menace which takes place some 15 or so years before RotS, Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jinn use some $3 harmonicas as breathing apparatus when diving on Naboo, so I daresay breathing apparatus technology was quite advanced in this faraway galaxy a long time ago
 RyanOsborne 13 May 2014

Oh man I wish I had one of those $3 harmonica underwater breathing kits. I think James Bond has one too. Well jel.
 Sam Ash 13 May 2014

> Although what I noticed the other day was that at the end of ROTS they have started building the Death Star: this is presumably in the same timeline as the rest of the film. That means they took 17 (or whatever) years to build it (& then it didn't work). They need to hire a different building firm.

They obviously used a different one in RotJ, it only takes them a couple of years to get the second one "quite operational"
 yeti 13 May 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

I think vacuum would improve the weld, but I wouldn't fancy welding without gravity
 Jim Walton 13 May 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

I think one of the things that ruined it for me was the spaces ships in ep 1-3. In 4-6 they are all battered and dirty and look like they have done some space travel. Yet in ep 1-3 they are all sleek and shiny with never a blemish. Why in the years between ep 3 and ep 4 would you go from really sleek and super fast space ships to 'hunk a junks'. Just didn't make sense. Lucas just went too over board with the CGI and ruined it for me.

In reply to Jim Walton:

I thought that was meant to be in line with the costuming. Far more elaborate costumes in the prequel trilogy. This was supposed to echo real life, where through the ages, clothing has become more utilitarian. Timescales are iffy, as they are comparing hundreds of years to mere decades, but hey ho.
Also, whilst I kind of agree, remember that most of the spaceships you see in 4-6 are those belonging to rebels, pirates, mercenaries etc. and most of the others are also functional fighters. The prequels featured more screentime for Royal transport stuff (e.g. the Naboo cruiser) which would naturally be more swish. Plus they had their share of ugly functional stuff (droid carriers etc)
The T.I.E. fighters (especially Vader's) and the Imperial shuttles are still pretty swish IMHO.

Compare:

Imperial shuttle, original trilogy
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/168/4/4/Imperial_shuttle_by_Kadamx.j...

ARC 170, prequel trilogy
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060705221516/starwars/images/5/5b/Arc1...

RyanOsborne 13 May 2014
In reply to Jim Walton:

Isn't that because the ships in Episodes 4-6 that you're referring to (X-Wings, A-Wings etc) are owned by the rebellion? Rebels are always a bit on the scruffy side... like the ones on our own planet, for example, are usually clad in mismatched camouflage, wielding battered AK47s. I guess intergalactic rebels are no different.

Then when you skip to the pre-rebellion days, this ships (such as Queen Amidala's Royal Starship) are all spangly and shit.
 RyanOsborne 13 May 2014

Beat me to it.
 Blue Straggler 14 May 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Beat me to it.

Yes and no. Jim does have a point, look at Imperial Star Destroyers etc. But then again, they are battleships. Compare a real world battleship to a sexy catamaran....

Even so, it is obvious that the ship designs were governed by available technology. Original trilogy: Airfix and Revell kits cannibalised and glued together. Prequel trilogy: whatever you want!

Boom! Ep II
http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-d0-7e/nikonikohoshizora/folder/1289073/85/3...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...