UKC

Climbing walls in Southampton area?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mwr72 11 May 2014
I'm working in Southampton all week so may be able to get to a wall one evening. I've had a look on here for local walls but they don't look too good.

Any recommendations for a decent lead wall within about 30 minutes drive of Hampshire county cricket ground(I'm staying adjacent to the ground)?

I would also be looking for a climbing partner for the evening if anyone is interested.

(If there are some decent recommendations then I'll also post in "Lifts & partners")

Cheers.
 katiep 11 May 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Calshot is the best place - its in Fawley about 40 minutes away. Alternatively there is St Mary's in town - as far as I'm aware you can't really lead and the grades are a bit variable but its cheap and cheerful and theres plenty to do for one visit.
 sog 12 May 2014
In reply to mwr72:

Tue night is club night at Southampton Climbing Wall(top rope and bouldering only). Always someone to climb with. Just turn up from 7.30 and a group usually go to Calshot on Thursday evenings.
OP mwr72 12 May 2014
Thanks for the recommendations, the hotel I was in last week was fully booked due to a cricket match so I'm now in Eastleigh 11 miles away.

Dandan 12 May 2014
In reply to mwr72:

There's a place called High Sports in Alton that is 35 mins away from Eastleigh, I've not been myself but its a lot closer to you than Calshot.
I personally dont mind the St Marys wall, yes it's tiny, yes it's short, but it is cheap and the feature routes are worthwhile even if lately the set routes are a bit hit and miss...

One day Southampton will get a decent city centre wall, I'd love to be the one to do it but i'm about £300k short at the moment...spare change Guv'nor?
 kedvenc72 13 May 2014
In reply to mwr72:

The wall at Alton is ok but not as good as Calshot. There is also the bouldering celler at fort Purbrook near Portsmouth. The main wall is good for a finger strength work out. I wouldn't bother with St Mary's wall as it's all top roped, short and a bit rubbish. The 'bouldering' there is laughable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...