UKC

Tarragona/Lleida in May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnbb 12 May 2014
A friend and I are going to Catalunya on Thursday for three days of climbing. We have booked a car and bought the guidebooks for Tarragona and Lleida. Despite earlier suggestions and similar threads we find it difficult to choose a place. The weather forecasts indicate sunshine and 25C. Would it be wise to stick to crags denoted as summer crags in these guidebooks or could any of "spring" crags also be recommended? We mainly climb in the 6a-7a range, prefer limestone, not polished routes and not (too) long falls. Further, we do not mind driving a bit each day.

Any advice would be appreciated. It will be our first time to this area.
 LeeWood 12 May 2014
In reply to johnbb:

I note you say you can handle some driving, but if you have only 3 days then you need to choose one of Tarragona / lleida. There's more than enough choice within either of these for a week or more. I would say you will want the summer crags (N & E facing); March is spring.

In fact (I've just looked at the forecast) drop all other ideas and head for Cavallers - if you like granite.
OP johnbb 12 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Hmm. Not sure about granite, but based on the pictures in the guidebook the climbing looks nice.

After studying the Lleida book throughout the evening we are also considering Camarasa, Santa Ana and Os de Balaguer/Tartareu in area 1. Any recommended places to stay (not camping) for these?
 LeeWood 12 May 2014
In reply to johnbb:

Yes, there's more than enough to do there.

I've stayed here 2x.

http://elmolidetartareu.blogspot.fr/

The deal is (was) 28Euros for bed, dinner & breakfast. VFM. Friendly & informal.

OP johnbb 12 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

Thanks. Looks good!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...