UKC

5 day walk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charliehl 12 May 2014
Hi,

I would like to do a 5 day walk. My plan is yo backpack and wild camp.
I was thinking of the Skye Trail? What do you think?

I guess I am asking, "What is the best 5 day, self supported, walk you have ever done?"

Cheers

Charlie

JJL 12 May 2014
In reply to charliehl:

It wasn't in the uK - does it still count?
OP charliehl 13 May 2014
In reply to JJL:

Definitely, I am looking for inspiration.

Charlie
 Siward 13 May 2014
In reply to charliehl:

If you're happy to take to the hills, how about Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge? I recall a very happy week following that route.

Tom Last 13 May 2014
In reply to Siward:

> If you're happy to take to the hills, how about Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge? I recall a very happy week following that route.

Me too, had a brilliant week/5 days doing that.

Added bonus that you don't have to carry a tent as there are enough bothies en route. You could also get Ladhar Bheinn ticked off mid way. We saw otters, golden eagles and very few people.
 JJL 13 May 2014
In reply to charliehl:

Top or second section of the Kungsleden, including (if you can stretch to 6 days) a hike up Kebnekaise.

Or through the Cordillera Huayhuash (though you'd need 10-14 days for a full circuit).

Or a middle section of the Haute Randonnée Pyrénéenne

Or the Via Alte della Verzasca (only 5 days)

Or the Hornstrandir trail in Iceland

You'd not be disappointed with any of those
 paul-1970 13 May 2014
In reply to charliehl:

Glenfinnan to Inverie is almost unsurpassable in these islands. Bothies, rocky canyons/glens, remote lochs, Glen Dessary forest, the high pass of Mam na Cloiche Airde. Lots of craggy hills to climb en route. Journey's end is camping on the shores of Loch Nevis with the Old Forge Inn nearby, and ride out next morning on the boat to Mallaig, then one of the great train rides of the UK back to Fort William.

Other great routes:
Blair Atholl - Aviemore / Braemar.
Kinlochewe - Dundonnell / Poolewe.
Cluanie Inn - Strathcarron.
Dalwhinnie - Fort William.
 lone 13 May 2014
In reply to charliehl:

How about the last stage of the Cambrian way, go from Barmouth to Conwy, should take a good 5 days or so.

Jase
 Trangia 13 May 2014
In reply to charliehl:

Fish River Canyon in Namibia

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/africa/travel-tips-and-articles/77063

Without doubt the best 5 day hike I've ever done.

It's absolutely beautiful and totally wild and self supporting, but very committing with no mobile phone communication, no rescue facilities and no easy escape.

I loved it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...