UKC

Julian Alps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
phil27uk 13 May 2014
Has anyone done a hut to hut trek in the Julian Alps. Looking for some information re place to start and finish from, transport to/from airport at Ljubljana and possible ascent of Triglav.

Thanks

Phil
 d_b 13 May 2014
In reply to phil27uk:

Hi Phil,

There are decent busses from Llubljana toward Kranjska Gora. In summer there are regular busses to the top of the Vrsic pass.

A couple of years ago I walked in to Pogačnikov dom from Trenta, used that as a base for a couple of days & then headed over Bovski Gamsovec onto Triglav. Didn't summit due to weather crapping out, but the route was fine.

If you are reasonably fit then it would be feasible to replace the approach from Trenta with a traversal of Prisank and Razor from the top of Vrsic.

Descent via the lakes valley might be a good way to do things if you are using public transport.

Pogačnikov dom & Koča pri Triglavskih jezerih (Lakes valley hut) are both pretty good. I can't recommend the Dolic hut, and would avoid if I was over there again.

Some pics of my last couple of trips here:

http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2010/slovenia_2010/
http://www.spectral3d.co.uk/Personal/pics/2011/julian_alps_2011/index.html
 Gazlynn 13 May 2014
In reply to phil27uk:
Public transport is great in Slovenia We got the bus from Lubliana to Ribcev Las.

There are loads of options from there to go hut to hut including an accent of Triglav.

The Cicerone Julian Alps guidebook is worth getting and the Sidarta Map of the area is great as on the back it has all the contact details of all the huts.

I didn't exactly go hut to hut as I was with my mum but visited a couple of them and they looked great.

Here are my very boring photos of our trip if you can be bothered looking through them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garethlynn/sets/72157635558931096

cheers

Gaz
Post edited at 13:54
 d_b 13 May 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

Nice pics. Looks as though we have been to a lot of the same spots.

One thing I like about the country is that logistics are easy. It's not very big, you can get everything you need easily and the people tend to be friendly and helpful.
 Gazlynn 13 May 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

Yes I agree 100%

I really enjoyed everything about Slovenia.

I am hoping to go back there soon although I say that about most places.

cheers

Gaz

BnB 13 May 2014
In reply to Gazlynn:

We're heading there this July en famille. Really looking forward to a different Alpine experience.
 Joak 13 May 2014
In reply to BnB:

Knowing how much you enjoy the Black Cuillin from reading your posts on here you'll love the Julian Alps. I've been there about half a dozen times (lost count) with the family, always based in Kranjska Gora. Nice rugged mountains perfectly suited to doing stuff on your own.(no glaciers with via ferrata on the steep bits). Went back to the Dolomites again last year and was reminded just how quiet the Julian's are!! You'll have an absolute blast
 d_b 13 May 2014
In reply to Joak:

I always end up basing myself at the camp site in Dovje. It's not quite as central as Kranjska Gora, but it's on the bus route & a really nice spot.
 Joak 13 May 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

On our last visit we hired a car for the fortnight. Owing to my stress levels going through the roof every time I sat behind the wheel, in future I'll be reverting back to bus timetables and the occasional taxi!!
 BnB 13 May 2014
In reply to Joak:
Thanks. After a couple of days city living in Ljubljana we're staying for 5 days in Ratece just outside Kranjska Gora. Really looking forward to it. I tend to end up doing the driving (we always hire a car) and I know what you mean about that adding to the stress.

Nevertheless, a couple of trips to the Cuillin in prospect before then

Bet the weather doesn't match up to Slovenia but the marriage of mountain and sea can't be beat!
Post edited at 18:29
 Joak 13 May 2014
In reply to BnB:

>.

> Nevertheless, a couple of trips to the Cuillin in prospect before then

> Bet the weather doesn't match up to Slovenia but the marriage of mountain and sea can't be beat!

Wholeheartedly agree!!
 fmck 14 May 2014
In reply to phil27uk:

I went for the weekend and stayed at the campsite in the valley. I left early in the morning 5am and seemed to reach Triglav when the huts were emptying. Still got back to the camp site early afternoon. paths are really good so very fast and little need to make the ascent a 2 day venture. Very busy place the summit area and the steep sections can have loads of people going up and down at the same time. All sorts of folks in various attire you wouldn't expect on a mountain.
 d_b 04 Jun 2014
In reply to phil27uk:

Looks like I'm going there this year. Just booked the boat.

What time of year are you planning to be around?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...