UKC

Harrisons/Southern Sandstone...how kid friendly?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stupidgirl45 13 May 2014
Planning a trip probably this weekend because of good weather for my OH's bday (he's been missing climbing since baby45 came along)

I can't remember what the paths/walk in is like - how buggy friendly is it? I remember the big tarmacked foresters path but what about the lower path?

If it's not buggy friendly, we've got a carrier but it means our friends won't be able to come (toddler not in carrier)

Thanks for any advice/help Much appreciated

SG45
Removed User 13 May 2014
In reply to stupidgirl45:

> (he's been missing climbing since baby45 came along)

Surprised he can walk properly after 45 kids.

stupidgirl45 13 May 2014

LOL!No help but LOL
 Trangia 13 May 2014
The top route is good for buggies until you get to the top of the rocks, then the decent routes are difficult for buggies and you would need to help them carry the buggy down even the easiest bits.

the lower approach is not too bad if it's dry, but muddy in the wet. Again the last 100/200 yards up to the rocks may require some help in getting the buggy up.

It's also difficult to traverse along the base with a buggy without help.

Hope that helps.

Bowles is probably a better choice
Post edited at 22:03
 Fishmate 13 May 2014

I'd agree with Trangia. Bowles is a better option and also has a half decent outhouse plus the base is flat. Suitable for laying a blanket and wont inconvenience climbers, i.e. you can relax with your kids
 kylo-342 14 May 2014

Bowles is excellent for children / toddlers / babies.

Tarmacced path from car park to crag edge. Short walk. Nice safe flat grassy areas. Toilets (I think with changing facilities) right next to the crag.

Fine for toddlers too -- only thing that is a shame is that you can't get food there! (the vending machine is empty).
 Discolegs 14 May 2014

Yes, Bowles is better when it comes to access. Having said that we've been to Harrison's a few times with a buggy and/or carrier. It is a bit of a struggle in places to carry the buggy, etc. If you want to climb at Harrison's in particular it didn't put us off. But if the access, facilities, etc (as opposed to location) is the main variable then Bowles indeed.
stupidgirl45 14 May 2014

Thanks everyone - sorry to disappear.

This is all very helpful. OH is wondering what conditions will be like generally after the rain this week but I imagine it'll have dried out by Saturday after all the sun we're due to have - no?

Otherwise we'll be hiking around Box Hill (again...sigh!)
 Trangia 14 May 2014

So long as it doesn't rain again between now and Saturday you should be fine. Again Bowles is best for quick drying.
 CurlyStevo 14 May 2014
In reply to Trangia:
It hardly rained over the weekend and monday / tuesday were sunshine and showers rather than prolonged rain - Bowles will be dry in many places tomorrow evening IMO and likely dry on enough routes to be worth a visit tonight.
Post edited at 11:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...